Texas Cichlid - Boy or Girl?

Sky Cuda

Feeder Fish
Nov 10, 2017
Hi,

Newbie here, bought a 2" Texas Cichlid at the local Pet Smart about 6 weeks ago, he (or she) was in pretty bad shape (bullied and has ich), nursed him back to good health and he's a bit over 3" now. Since I never kept a Texas Cichlid before, would like some help in determining whether it's a he or she. See attached pics, thanks in advance.
Ken
greentexas2.jpg
greentexas1.jpg

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
the dark area/spot in the dorsal usually indicates female but the head profile in the other pic says male IMO. Give it a bit more time and it should be easier to tell.

good looking fish either way

Sky Cuda

Feeder Fish
Nov 10, 2017
the dark area/spot in the dorsal usually indicates female but the head profile in the other pic says male IMO. Give it a bit more time and it should be easier to tell.

good looking fish either way
Thanks, I read about the dark spot on the dorsal fin (usually indicates a female) but his/her body contour looks more like a male to me, hence my post. Appreciate your input, I'll post new pics when he/she is a bit bigger. Cheers!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since it is Herichthys, and most show the same characteristics, compare the male H carpintus profile, below

to the female below

To me, the OPs photo shows a female profile

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Give it some time, I think by 6" or so it will be easier to tell. If I had to wager a guess right now I would say female.

Really nice looking fish, glad you were able to nurse him/her back to health!

Reactions: Jexnell

sodas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2015
The black spot on the dorsal fin does not indicate anything . All the carpintis i ve aquired had that blotch. Even the males. In my experience with this fish the males at this size have more intense colours and thicker pearls . Profile is more or less the same. Hard to tell from a single fish . Making a guess , i say female.
Not an expert . Just my 2 cents

Sky Cuda

Feeder Fish
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for everyone's inputs/feedback, much appreciated. Boy or girl, I'm happy either way as he/she's got very good temperament (i.e, not aggressive toward tank mates at all). Right now he/she's in a 55g with some African cichlid hybrids that were adopted from an ex-colleague, long term my goal is to get him/her a mate and setup a 125g tank for the pair, hopefully wife won't object ;-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store