Texas cichlid help with ich and cloud eye

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Hello I have a few questions that I would like answered about Ich in general. So basically the tank got infected with ich once and it killed a oscar and Green terror and The Texas and Dempsey survived and were doing fine ich was gone and everybody was good. I got another Green Terror ich comes back and everyone gets infected... EXCEPT the Texas. So I treated the tank with one med and it didnt work, so then I switched to another med and the visual symptoma are gone. Im still treating to make sure it is erradicated. My question is how is my Texas seemingly immune to ich? Is it possible it can't affect him? He is not even breathing hard or anything. My second question is Ovbiously they have seen high amounts of ich meds. Im using Tetra Ick Guard tablets. Will the meds throw off the PH and damage bacteria in the biological filter? My third and final is now ich is gone and There is a bit of cloud eye on both of them. is this left over from ich/ secondary infection? And if so do I need to treat with anything or will the fish antibodies get rid of it?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Is it possible it can't affect him? He is not even breathing hard or anything.
Yes, some fish can develop immunity to ich once they've had it once.

My third and final is now ich is gone and There is a bit of cloud eye on both of them.
It could be a result of the ich infection or a subsequent bacterial infection or a result of being exposed to poor water quality. I'd start with large regular water changes routine to clear it up.

My second question is Ovbiously they have seen high amounts of ich meds. Im using Tetra Ick Guard tablets. Will the meds throw off the PH and damage bacteria in the biological filter?
Why not just test the water? But yes, ick meds are not nice to your biofiltration.

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Yes, some fish can develop immunity to ich once they've had it once.

It could be a result of the ich infection or a subsequent bacterial infection or a result of being exposed to poor water quality. I'd start with large regular water changes routine to clear it up.

Why not just test the water? But yes, ick meds are not nice to your biofiltration.
Thank you! What is the best action I can take? I just changed 25% and added another does of ick meds to make sure it's gone. Aside from more water changes do I need to do anything else?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Once you deal with the ick, I'd up the water changes. Try doing 50% every 2nd day for a week at least and see how the cloudy eye goes from there. And no, for now I wouldn't do anything more or add any other meds.

Reactions: Cichlidshady

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Once you deal with the ick, I'd up the water changes. Try doing 50% every 2nd day for a week at least and see how the cloudy eye goes from there. And no, for now I wouldn't do anything more or add any other meds.
Alright thank you!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ich is often followed by secondary bacterial infections, because the immune system of the fish is taxed to the limit, allowing opportunistic bacteria to take hold.
I totally agree with coryloach, you need to up water changes and get rid of detritus on the substrate and in filters, because those opportunistic bacteria thrive in those kind of conditions, and the heightened water temps needed to run ich through its cycle.
Often times the eyes of the fish become compromised after ich, but once cured the fish can go about their business just fine. I just had some nicaraguense recently fight off ich and the 2ndary eye infection that followed, soon after they spawned successfully, even with compromised eyes.

Reactions: Cichlidshady
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store