Texas cichlid identification

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi guys, I just picked this little guy up and am pretty sure that he's a green Texas, but after hearing about all the different collection points, I'm not sure what type. I remember back in the day all you could find was the real Texas cichlids, no greens.IMG_20201014_110212.jpgIMG_20201014_154603.jpg He has a little red in the background, you can't really see it in the picture. Excuse the pictures but someone stole my other phone. Also I remember reading that H. Carpinte are sometimes found in saltwater, has anyone ever tried this. The book was Cichlids of Central America. Thanks for the help.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is only 1 Texas cichlid, Herichthys cyanoguttatus.
The others are location point point Herichthys carpintus morphs, none from Texas, but called Texas because they look similar.
Below Herichthys carpintus "Chairel". Chairel is a lagoon found close to the Caribbean sea in Mexico, there are other collection points such a Rio Hondo, Escondido etc. These would be nearly impossible to discern with a couple unclear photosphotos .
1603362267907.png
The problem is not only that the different species look similar, but that even within the species they appear different at different times.
The one above, and one below are the same individual, at different times.
1603362406625.png
Now below a Herichthys tamasopoensis, often erroneously called a Texas cichlid.
1603362497812.png
another fly in the ointment, is that for many years aquarists have been unaware of these separate species, and crossbreeding Herichthys cyanoguttatus and carpintus creating an generic aquarium strain, that would be impossible to ID without a DNA test.
So if you got yours at a LFS, you should probably assume its one of those. aquarium strains
Any store that had a true morph would want to use one of those location point handles to up its value, and cost if they were actually up of the fish they sell.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks, I know. The thing is that I can't seem to find the cyans anywhere like I use to. It's been over 20 years since anyone that I know has seen one available at a local lfs and I've been in different states.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks duanes, it's been a while since I've been on mfk and glad to see you're still here. By looking at the picture is there a way to tell what area my carpintus came from? Most of the time I keep seeing Escondido but nowhere else.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks duanes, it's been a while since I've been on mfk and glad to see you're still here. By looking at the picture is there a way to tell what area my carpintus came from? Most of the time I keep seeing Escondido but nowhere else.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't believe their is any way to tell just by looking.
All location points are the same species carpintus, except Tamasopo, because it has been given separate species status.
So unless the collector stated where it was netted out to the retailer, or the ancestry has been kept pure as in spawning pairs (F1,F2, etc etc)have been kept in separate tanks and isolated from other carpintus (or cyanoguttatus) it would be impossible to see.
If it came from a LFS chances are, its an aquarium strain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
I remember reading in Cichlids of Central America that Carpintus also live in saltwater. I know that the ones that are commonly available have lived in freshwater environments for generations but physiologically they still should be able to live in saltwater. There are numerous reports of people releasing them into freshwater ponds were they've thrived and reproduced. Has anyone ever tried?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store