Thai silk with black splotches?

Wyatts/cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2021
A few days ago it got this weird black line on the head and nose is this something bad or stress marks ? Thank you

Screenshot_20210914-160843_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210914-160826_One UI Home.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I thought Thai silk were blue usually.
Anyway, that is a normal process called fading. On fish with amphilophus (red devil, Midas, etc.) parentage, they will periodically turn black in parts, only to come back even stronger in reds and oranges.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Likely it is a fader Thai silk. Typically they are a metallic blue, but one with the fader gene will take an orangey blue color similar to that of a male red zebra cichlid. The black is due to the fading.
Though stress is likely in a tank with other cichlids, as I see the Oscar in the back. I’m sure you’ve heard but flowerhorns don’t usually play nice with others, and there may be problems as it grows.

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Never seen a faded or orange Thai silk before unless it's a new breed that I haven't heard about. But anyway the black mark usually found on faded fishes are mainly from stress or its in its stages of fading. Don't worry it will go away once it becomes dominate or finishes its fading process.

Wyatts/cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2021
Likely it is a fader Thai silk. Typically they are a metallic blue, but one with the fader gene will take an orangey blue color similar to that of a male red zebra cichlid. The black is due to the fading.
Though stress is likely in a tank with other cichlids, as I see the Oscar in the back. I’m sure you’ve heard but flowerhorns don’t usually play nice with others, and there may be problems as it grows.
There's a glass divider in the tank as I'm in the prosses of seting up his tank he can see the oscars but can't get to them

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store