The battle with Ich continues WTF

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Are you replacing the Ich-X with the water changes? Ich-X instructions are every 48hrs if I remember correctly.

I follow Cory's "med trio" method here. Dose once and leave for a week (cheaper/easier). Ich was usually gone 48 to 72 hours later.

AR115

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
We have been doin water change every 2 days this time around, the first outbreak we were doing daily water changes. I dont have the bottle on me but i beleive it says every 24 hrs and no more than 8 or 12 hrs, my LFS recommended every 48 hrs as well

AR115

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
Worst part is that its only attacking my new clown loaches nothing else and my one bigger CL who survived the first outbreak is fine

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I found that when I dosed with the medication twice as often at half dose, it was more effective and less harmful to the sensitive fish. The addition of salt can help too.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I found that when I dosed with the medication twice as often at half dose, it was more effective and less harmful to the sensitive fish. The addition of salt can help too.
Hello; It is my understanding most medications work on the newly hatched larvae of the ich parasite by osmotic pressure effects. Salt does this at the correct concentration as do others. The general thing I have gleaned from reading various ich threads is there is a risk when using two or more medications at the same time. Just something picked up here on the forum that sounds right. However I have no personal experience of mixing medications so can not say for sure.

AR115

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
Just an update...All spots are gone from all my clown loaches, will continue treatment for the next 10 days. Ich-X every 12-14 hrs and water changes every 48hrs with temp between 82-84

Reactions: Raka

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
Fish which survive ich acquire an immunity against it. How kibf thia lasts is uncertain and different species will vary in their response. If you are interested in the science on this topic, go to Google Scholar and enter "acquired immunity to Ichthyophthirius multifiliis" in the search box.

Ich is the bane of both the ornamental and the food fish industries and has been for years. There is extensive research into finding a vaccine for Ich.

Here is a pretty interesting paper which discusses a ton of treatments tried for Ich. You will not believe how many things have been tried and administered in various ways.

Picon-Camacho SM, Marcos-Lopez M, Bron J & Shinn A (2012) An assessment of the use of drug and non-drug interventions in the treatment of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis Fouquet, 1876, a protozoan parasite of freshwater fish, Parasitology, 139 (2), pp. 149-190.
http://dspace.stir.ac.uk/bitstream/...macho et al Parasitology Ich chemo review.pdf

Reactions: AR115
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store