The big 'End of the Year 2009' Trivia Contest

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
It’s been a (too) long time coming, but here we go.

Back in November of 2008 I started this trivia question game. The winner(s) receive credit for free fish. I’m going to revisit the first six months of questions to close out the 2009 year with big ‘free for all’. While I was going to revisit each previous month’s installment of trivia, I’ve changed my mind for a couple reasons. One reason deals with the ever present time constraint when it comes to the organization of these contests. Another good reason may very well be that enough was enough and I’d like to move on to the next question please.

As much as I’d like to see participants post their answers directly on this thread, we cannot play in just that way. It’s virtually impossible not to cheat from the previously posted answers. In response to that dilemma, I’ve asked that your answers be sent either by PM or via direct email to me at bigguapote1@verizon.net

Here’s the deal – each of the below questions is worth $50.00 of credit for free fish. That’s a total of $300.00 of free fish going out this time around! I would like to see multiple winners receive free fish, so there can be up to 6 winners in this ‘End of 2009’ contest. You will need to provide the most correct answers to any one of the below questions. Participants are permitted one and only one submission for their answer(s), so please make it good the first time! You may choose to compete in any or all of the six contests, but an individual contestant is allowed to win no more than two categories. That could be up to $100.00 of free fish possible per individual. The first replies received with the most correct answers will result in a win for each of the below questions. Winners of previous months’ contests are encouraged to participate and may win again in this grande finale. The contest begins immediately and the cut off for submissions will be at 12 AM midnight EST (that’s 9 PM for you left coast dudes) on Sunday the 28th. Good luck!

I began with a question referencing an origin for the name of my business, Tangled Up In Cichlids. Here is a link to that question http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193785

For those of you that did not know, Bob Dylan’s song ‘Tangled Up In Blue’ was the inspiration for my business name.

Question One for this entry will revisit Bob Dylan’s blues. More specifically, I’m asking participants to list all the Dylan tunes recorded that contain the word ‘blue’. By the way, the below images have nothing to do with the answers.

December of 2008 contained a ‘where in the world is this?’ set of photos. Here is a link to that question. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199235

Instead of just one place (the country of Iceland as in the case of December 2008 question), I am including photos I’ve taken from several locations around the world in this go around.

For Question Two, please try to correctly identify as many of these photos as possible. You may refer to a proper name of the actual subject in the photo, or in some cases, the name of the city that is most applicable. I took some of these pictures many years ago and seriously do need your help figuring out where in the world I was when I took them!

where? 1 ^

where? 2 ^

where? 3 ^

where? 4 ^

where? 5 ^

where? 6 ^

where? 7 ^

where? 8 ^

where? 9 ^

On January 1st, 2009, I threw a three part trivia question out there. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202317

It was entertaining to read each of your replies and comments. So there was the possibility of going in three different directions on this revisit to original questions. There could be some dog breed guessing or trivia, or maybe Uruguay collection trivia or questions, or maybe, I don’t know-what’s the record of how many live Rhineloricarids can one hold in one’s mouth and not choke?! If that sounds odd, I invite you to please read the original thread for this particular month’s contest (pasted above).

I’m leaning toward some canine breed identification by way of photos.
Part of this original question pertained to my Karelian Bear Dog named Corina.

The Karelian Bear Dog is definitely a primitive breed of dog. Personally, I am very interested in the more ancestral, primitive type breeds. I asked Corina if she was aware of other primitive dog breeds and this was pretty much her response.

If you google for primitive breeds, you may come across a list of the some breeds that are considered to be the most primitive or ancestral as per DNA tests. I cannot disagree with the findings, but after doing some of my own research, I was able to come up with many other similarly primitive, very interesting breeds. I cannot say that many of these breeds were represented at the recently held annual Westminster Dog Show in NYC , but I did see a few of them. I’m still waiting for the day when I see a Bear Dog there!

Question 3 is then to try and identify as many of these primitive dog breeds as possible.

dog image 1 ^

dog image 2 ^

dog image 3 ^

dog image 4 ^

dog image 5 ^

dog image 6 ^

dog image 7 ^

dog image 8 ^

dog image 9 ^

dog image 10 ^

dog image 11 ^

dog image 12 ^

dog image 13 ^

dog image 14 ^

dog image 15 ^

dog image 16 ^

dog image 17 ^

dog image 18 ^

dog image 19 ^

dog image 20 ^

In February of 2009, I was focusing on a music related theme. In particular, I was looking for some Grateful Dead nostalgia with a little treasure hunt for a photo. That all happened here http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221679

So speaking of my favorite band, let’s get to the questions. Question 4 of this thread will require that you try to find answers to each of the following questions.

#1 At what venue did the Grateful Dead play the most shows?

#2 What is the name of their longest song played in concert and just how long was that song?

#3 How long was their longest concert? How many tunes did they play at this particularly marathon-like gig? What was the date and venue of said gig?

#4 Can you please tell me the names of the members in the 1973 ensemble of the Grateful Dead?

#5 How about the names of the members in the 2009 version of the Dead?

#6 Anybody know why the members of the Dead are wearing tuxedos and bow ties at this gig? What is the significance of this show (where is it and what is the significance of the event)?

#7 Not entirely unrelated to the previous question - can anyone name the tune the Dead performed with Tipper Gore (yep-remember Tipper?) playing drums on the 2nd night of their 2009 spring tour?

In March of 2009, I posted an assortment of feline photos to identify. Some were cartoon cats, some were actual species of wild cats, and there was one animated ‘Hollywood’ cat named Salem. I can’t think of any more relevant cartoon cats, but there are plenty more wild cats to check out.

Question 5 will then be to please identify as many of these wild cats as possible.

cat image 1 ^

cat image 2 ^

cat image 3 ^

cat image 4 ^

cat image 5 ^

cat image 6 ^

cat image 7 ^

cat image 8 ^

cat image 9 ^

cat image 10 ^

cat images 11 ^

cat image 12 ^

cat image 13 ^

In April of 2009, I wrote a short story based on two characters from an old tune performed by a band by the name of Cream. Below is a link to the story.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239356

As the song goes, “Pressed Rat and Warthog have closed down their shop. They didn’t want to – ‘twas all they had got. Selling atonal apples, amplified heat, and Pressed Rat’s collection of dog legs and feet.” The twist on this little tale was this – I peppered the story line with actual lyrics fron Beatle’s tunes. Participants had to read through the story and recognize the interjected statements that could be heard as sung by the Fab Four.

There will be no more short stories – for now, anyway. However, I wanted to revisit something ‘Beatles’ in this segment. I’m sure the Rock Band game’s edition of ‘Beatles Rock Band’ is not news to most of you.

Question 6 Just for fun (and free fish, of course), I will post images that appear in the Beatles Rock Band game during the time when specific songs are performed. Your mission, should you accept it, will be to identify the song that corresponds or would be playing when each of the below images may appear in the game.

Beatles Rock Band image 1 ^

Beatles Rock Band image 2 ^

Beatles Rock Band image 3 ^

Beatles Rock Band image 4 ^

Beatles Rock Band image 5 ^

Beatles Rock Band image 6 ^

Beatles Rock Band image 7 ^

Good luck everyone!!

Feel free to post comments and discussion below. Please submit your answers via pm or email.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
LOVE THAT SKULL PIC...

Thanks for shakin things up here on MFK!!!!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
Davey_8313;3928794; said:

I received your email Davey-thanks very much. Your list is absolutely _____ ! ;) Well I cannot say anymore yet. Still got a contest going on here.

I've received some other emails and pms, but not all questions have been addressed yet. Keep up the great work. I've never seen the MFK community stumped on one of these trivia contests, and I have no doubt that all the questions will be answered by tomorrow PM.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
Amazing. Absolutely amazing!

There were several responses to each of 4 of the questions in this contest, and none to two of the questions.

I am sure that there are MFK'ers who can answer the Beatles Rock Band questions and the 'Where in the World was this photo taken' questions as well.
I blame myself for not posting this contest regularly. Perhaps if I'd been actually posting each month, more potential participants would have been motivated to check into the contest more often.

That being said, I am leaving the two unanswered questions open for anyone who would like to take a real shot at them still. Don't make me ask my 13 yr old son to take the Beatles Rock Band challenge. He just may be able to identify those images.
As for the photos I posted of some places I've visited around the globe, well, I really would like to know where in the world Waldo (I) was at the time I took the photos! Seriously, I know where some of them were taken, but not all of them. I bet that if some of our European MFK'ers took a look at them, the mysteries would be solved.

Davey8313 (with the totally creepy avatar!) sent me a 100% right on reply to the Dylan question. You can see his reply below. There were 22 'blue' songs to find. Way to go Davey!

Black Crow Blues
Blue Moon
Bob Dylan's Blues
Call Letter Blues
Freight Train Blues
Hero Blues
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
Living the Blues
Lonesome Day Blues
North Country Blues
Orange Juice Blues
Outlaw Blues
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Talkin' Hava Negiliah Blues
Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
Talkin' World War III Blues
Tangled Up In Blue
Tombstone Blues
Workingman's Blues #2
Worried Blues

Congrats should be given to Rachel for her reply with 20 'blue' Dylan tunes. That was a close one!

I want to congratulate Davey again on his reply to the Grateful Dead trivia. That's a double header for Davey! Way to go!
Not a bad way to receive $100 in TUIC fish-huh?
Even if you weren't a big fan of the artists, this kind of info is available to anyone who is internet savvy.

1, Winterland Arena in San Fransisco, CA
well actually they performed 53 shows at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. I must have been there for at least 12-15 of those....
2, "Dark Star" on December 6, 1973 lasted 43:27, but some say May 11, 1972’s which lasted 47:12, but it included a drum solo lasting 4:03
3, Six hours, 36 songs,Winterland Ballroom on New Year's of 1979
4, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh, drummer Bill Kreutzmann, Keith Godchaux and wife Donna Jean Godchaux
5, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, and Mickey Hart
6, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on January 19, 1994
Can you believe that photo was actually taken at the Mid Atlantic Inaugural Ball in Washington DC on 1/20/09 ?! Yes, they were invited by Obama to perform at one of the Inaugural Balls on the evening that he was elected.
7, "Sugar Magnolia" in Washington D.C

As for the cat and dog portions of this contest, I want to first congratulate some runner ups who sent me totally amazing replies. They were far better answers than I could have provided if I had to identify these animals from photos.
Andregoruv and BlackShark11k each submitted extremely well researched dog breed replies, and andregoruv also had an incredible cat species reply as well.

However, A. Liu sent me the ultimately most correct repsponse to both animal photo id questions. You can view his reply below.

1. Canaan dog yes! I know that was tricky because the dog in photo displayed extremely similar markings to a Karelian!
2. Akita Inu also known as Japanese Akita (as opposed below entry)
3. American Akita
4. New Guinea singing dog
5. Nordic Spitz / Norbottenspitz
6. Shiba Inu
7. Basenji dog
8. Korean jindo
9. Azawakh
10. Peruvian inca orchid
11. Carolina dog
12. Sarplaninac
13. Balinese Kintamani Dog
14. Central Asian Shepherd
15. Sarmatian Mastiff (I had selected this photo to represent the 'alabai' breed. After reading a couple replies, I revisited the breed info. Apparently the alabai is synonymous with Central Asia Shepherd. My bad! However, the mastiff-type look is undoubtably apparent.)
16. Saluki
17. Kai Inu also known as Kai Ken or Tora Inu-they are a National treasure of Japan
18. Kuvasz
19. Sloughi the image was taken from a site featuring photos of Caravan Hounds (which originate from India). The sloughi really does look identical in profile (and originate from Morocco). I could not have distinguished between the two.
20. Ibizan Hound

Totally incredible dogs! I wish that I could live long enough to enjoy many of them as pets.

1. Andean Mountain Cat
2. Amur Leopard Cat
3. Jaguarundi
4. Clouded leopard
5. Puma
6. Pallas cat
7. Rusty Spotted Cat
8. European Wildcat
9. Iriomote Cat
10. Fishing Cat
11. Sand cat
12. Jungle Cat
13. Marbled Cat

What can I say? You totally nailed this one.
So $100 in free fish goes to A. Liu for the most correst answers on those cat and dog identifications!

Remember, the Beatles Rock Band and 'Where in the World was I' photos will remain open for answer, so there's more free fish just waiting to be won by someone!

Thanks again to everyone who participated!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
BlackShark11K has 100% solved the Beatles Rock band question.
Congrats on your win!

#1 dig a pony
#2 can't buy me love
#3 with a little help from my friends
#4 sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band
#5 do you want to know a secret
#6 eight days a week
#7 paperback writer

Congrats also to moneyman1187 for his shot at this one too. He was only one song off on his submission (#7).

Thanks for all your hard work! Glad it payed off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store