The Camera Thread

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
Dan Feller;1543246; said:
I have two cameras. My primary camera actually isn't a camera, but a camcorder. The Sony HC7 is an HDV camcorder, plus it takes pretty good 6.1 MP still photos. One of the nice things about the HDV format is that you can grab 3 MP stills from video. The Giraffe Cat was taken as a still, the photo of Snappy's operation was grabbed from video.

My other camera is an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. It is a pretty basic point and shoot, but it is waterproof to 33', shockproof, and crush resistant. I take it places I would be afraid of ruining my Sony, plus it is pocket-sized. The Niger Cat picture I took from inside the tank, I just got the camera and wanted to try it underwater. :) The Hillstream Loach photo I took from outside the tank.

None of the pictures are uploaded at full size, I have very SLOW dial-up internet. :(

I would really like a D50 or D40x, but once you get a couple lenses and a few accessories the cost really gets up there!

man I luv the first pic....looks great...

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I have a cannon sd600, anybody have any tips to get my shots looking this great...like flash or no flash what iso setting, exposure...etc?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
keepinfish;1643209; said:
I have a cannon sd600, anybody have any tips to get my shots looking this great...like flash or no flash what iso setting, exposure...etc?
i have a canon A5is..i need the same help.. this camera is almost a DSL but it is digital too.. what was i thinking... any help setting in DSL mode for fish pictures would really be helpful too..

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
yes great pics...i would love it too..and great fish..:D

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Cichlas;1287865; said:
Yup, I would agree with all of that for close up work. But IMO, flash is pants no matter which ones you use for full tank shots or longer distance work. A fast lense is much better and will give decent depth of field, and gives a much more natural look than flash.
LOL. I would love to see what you call the " natural look" !:ROFL:
Cichlas;1292509; said:
I am also speaking from first hand experience ;) :screwy:

As the post is in here, we would be talking from a fish pic perspective. A long zoom, say 70-300 is less use to you than a 35-80 for aquarium work. So straight away you are likely to be looking at a lense that is faster anyway. Therefore I would recommend the faster lense as it is more suitable for the job at hand from a focal length perspective. A remote flash will help tremendously for closeup/macro work, but is very limited or no use for full tank shots (especially big tanks) if you are stood away from the tank. In those cases, the "faster" the lense the better, to help avoid the need for a flash altogether. DOF will be sufficient when you are not right on top of the subject.
ROTFLMAO. Are you speaking from all the experience you have, or are saving some for reserve?:hitting:
I take pics of a 13' tank with a remote flash.:popcorn:

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
ashdavid;1675398; said:
LOL. I would love to see what you call the " natural look" !:ROFL:

ROTFLMAO. Are you speaking from all the experience you have, or are saving some for reserve?:hitting:
I take pics of a 13' tank with a remote flash.:popcorn:

I agree 100% Dave. 99% of all the photos I take are with a remote flash. A fast lens...no matter the speed sacrifices DOF. I think the "natural look" is with a flash. Truer colors...better DOF. If you are interested...you can see Cichla's gallery of photos for his take on natural.

DarthV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Canada
Natural look with fluoro lights? pffft! Then again that's why you shoot RAW and fiddle with the white balance in CS3, Lightroom or Aperture :p

Fast lenses are great for photos of individual fish. Isolation and higher shutter speeds if you're shooting wide open (with no flash). And with the newer Canon dSLRs (not sure on other cameras), a fast lens will give more light for better AF performance. There's no substitute for speed. You can always stop the lens down if you want. Never have the option with a slow lens to make it faster!

I've only read this page, so I'm unsure why Mo talks about sacrificing DOF. DOF is a tool, nothing more. But I guess it depends on how the artist wants the end product to look. I like to isolate my fish as much as possible, but that's more because clay pots just aren't very photogenic! But with the aquascaping Mo's done on his aquariums (specially the zonatum tank!), I can see why he wants to shoot with the lens closed down to show off more than just the fish. Definitely gives a good perspective on the subject.

Hey Mo, where are you finding all that greenery? With all the snow this winter, I'm almost itching to add some green to a couple of my aquariums!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store