Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
is300zx;874261; said:
o woops :S sorry i meant D40...
the D80 is a weenie lil more expensive
i mean the 400D and D40 are like 700-750 euros, and the D80 and 30D are like 1200

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
The biggest problem with the D40 is lens selection.

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
rallysman;874353; said:
The biggest problem with the D40 is lens selection.
which is why im leanin to the 400D
does anybody have experience with one of these?
ive read great reviews, but concidering its mainly gonna b used for fishy pics... i wud like to hear some stuff from a fellow mfker

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
mb_barton;874692; said:
which is why im leanin to the 400D
does anybody have experience with one of these?
ive read great reviews, but concidering its mainly gonna b used for fishy pics... i wud like to hear some stuff from a fellow mfker
If you go to aquatic-photograpy.com you'll see some 350D and 400D users there. Check out aquasaur's photos. He uses a 350D and they're just simply amazing.

The most important thing in a camera is actually the user, then the glass, then the body. Lenses are what you'll actually invest more in a DSLR. Some lenses cost more than the body itself but you can probably keep them longer and change body as your experience and budget grows. As far as the D40 is concerned there are actually two versions of that camera. The D40 which is a 6 megapixel and a D40X which is a 10 megapixel. The D40x is slightly faster but also cost about $200 more. Unless you're going to print poster size images or cropping a lot, then there's no real point in buying a 10 megapixel camera. Higher megapixel counts actually can cause more noise in the picture. So if I were you, I'd save some money and buy a D40 instead of a D40x (not sure about 400D never used one before) or if you can find a new one a D50. If you're not afraid of buying used go with a D50 or D70s. With the money you save then buy a flash gun and a nice macro lens.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
here is my local photography shop. They have killer deals on used equipment.
www.jackscamera.com I got a used lens when I got my D50 and it's one of the best things I could have done.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
I just bought a Fuji Finepix S5700.I know a DSLR is better but I can't complain with this as it was nowhere near the price of a good DSLR.
This was the 1st day with it.Still getting the setting down pat so will only improve.:)

DSCF2280.JPG

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
is300zx;874761; said:
If you go to aquatic-photograpy.com you'll see some 350D and 400D users there. Check out aquasaur's photos. He uses a 350D and they're just simply amazing.

The most important thing in a camera is actually the user, then the glass, then the body. Lenses are what you'll actually invest more in a DSLR. Some lenses cost more than the body itself but you can probably keep them longer and change body as your experience and budget grows. As far as the D40 is concerned there are actually two versions of that camera. The D40 which is a 6 megapixel and a D40X which is a 10 megapixel. The D40x is slightly faster but also cost about $200 more. Unless you're going to print poster size images or cropping a lot, then there's no real point in buying a 10 megapixel camera. Higher megapixel counts actually can cause more noise in the picture. So if I were you, I'd save some money and buy a D40 instead of a D40x (not sure about 400D never used one before) or if you can find a new one a D50. If you're not afraid of buying used go with a D50 or D70s. With the money you save then buy a flash gun and a nice macro lens.
thanks alot man. these are the kinda of informative posts we can use. If i had got the Nikon it would be the D40x cuz I also take a lot of other pics for my band (of concerts) and i do a lot of foto shopping so i want a nice 10 megapixel cam. Thats why I have decided to go for the Canon. The only really difference is that when making multiple speed-shots then canon can go to 3 per second to a maximum of 27 in a row, and the D40x can do 3 a second to a max of 100 in a row. But the Canon has a few functions like a automatic dust removing function that are very appealing to me.
My local cam shop has a great deal on it too, Im getting the cam plus 18mm-55mm lens for 700 euros and then a bonus kit of a cam bag, 2gig sd card, and a wireless mountable flash so i can mount it on the edge of the tank and take shows through the glass without flash glare. and all that for just 100 extra

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
mb_barton;876087; said:
thanks alot man. these are the kinda of informative posts we can use. If i had got the Nikon it would be the D40x cuz I also take a lot of other pics for my band (of concerts) and i do a lot of foto shopping so i want a nice 10 megapixel cam. Thats why I have decided to go for the Canon. The only really difference is that when making multiple speed-shots then canon can go to 3 per second to a maximum of 27 in a row, and the D40x can do 3 a second to a max of 100 in a row. But the Canon has a few functions like a automatic dust removing function that are very appealing to me.
My local cam shop has a great deal on it too, Im getting the cam plus 18mm-55mm lens for 700 euros and then a bonus kit of a cam bag, 2gig sd card, and a wireless mountable flash so i can mount it on the edge of the tank and take shows through the glass without flash glare. and all that for just 100 extra
I just got a Cannon G7, which I'm learning to use. It's not a DSLR, but it has some great features. It has an aquarium mode that takes pictures without the flash bouncing off the tank walls. At 10 MP and shutter speeds from 15 - 2,500/sec, my new camera more than meets my needs. It has about 13 modes (indoor, night, underwater, fireworks, snow, sport, landscape, night scene, etc.) for easy shooting. The camera can be manually adjusted also. While we have an older camcorder, I really wanted the option to do video clips. Here are my first two done in bright daylight with the daylight and the whole living room reflected in the tank walls. I had to read the manual to do this. In the future, I'll have to use smaller frames to make it more dial up friendly. We were feeding the pacu raw potato slices, and they were so hilarious, we taped it.

I thought I had turned the sound off, but hadn't, so my husband's comments and the cat crying for attention come through loud and clear in the first clip. In the second clip, the water is pretty cloudy with potato pieces.

Here's my first pic using aquarium mode. The fish had been sleeping, and I turned the light on, so they are pretty pale.

I just received the underwater casing rated to 130 feet, which we may use when snorkeling in hawaii. I got a telephoto and wide angle/macro lenses for the camera. We'll be spending a lot of time on Shasta Lake this summer, and I hope to get great wakeboarding action shots, wildlife and scenery shots with my new camera.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
you can get awesome pix without a DSLR, but it is MUCH easier with one.

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
Hey I have a cool idea. I know I dont know **** about all the settings these cameras have and what to do with them to make better shots. SO Im gonna have a lot of reading and messing around to do before I figure it out.

Maybe someone could explain what all the different settings on a cam actually do and how you should go about finding the right settings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store