The Cichla Project -

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
well - seems my 3xl water changes have triggered my 12” mono girl to start digging a nest - not sure who the baby daddy gonna be ? - lil fogo’s on her side and a kel

any tips on how to turn this off?

1B3C1FE8-9A23-4736-B9A9-A71E01A87943.jpeg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
You’ll see some sparing and lip locking if you do indeed have a pair. Once they do pair up they will spawn by weekly or monthly and there’s no stopping it. Chalk it up to a healthy aquarium. Looking good btw.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
You’ll see some sparing and lip locking if you do indeed have a pair. Once they do pair up they will spawn by weekly or monthly and there’s no stopping it. Chalk it up to a healthy aquarium. Looking good btw.

ahh - i’ll have to see who she chooses

i think 1 year ago my thought was to segregate the pair to another system.... sadly pretty packed at the moment

Last edited:

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
well,

seems the green fogo is guarding the “nest”

Reactions: alexp11

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Well, didn’t take long for fogos to get hybridized. ? who’s ready for some mogos? Joking aside it is awesome that you’re getting that behavior out of them.
mogo’s - i like it ?-

knew something like this might happen - will see where it leads and split the group into two if necessary-

i have no intention of releasing mogo’s into the mainstream ?

Reactions: fishguy1978

alexp11

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
ohio
mogo’s - i like it ?-

knew something like this might happen - will see where it leads and split the group into two if necessary-

i have no intention of releasing mogo’s into the mainstream ?
Maybe not the mainstream, but I wouldn’t be opposed to growing them out to see how they look. ?

• Haha
Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Maybe not the mainstream, but I wouldn’t be opposed to growing them out to see how they look. ?
i tried a limited breeding and reselling project early pandemic - the time and effort didn’t really pencil out... i’m a hobbiest for now....

going to do some gravel vacs and change hardscape up a bit - hopefully disrupts the behavior -

Reactions: alexp11

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i’ve had two non cichla deaths in the tank here - L14 / Sailfin Pictus -

currently little cloudy eye in a few as i had a nitrate spike when auto w/c was off -

Going to go three rounds of Prazi with some levamisole on the tail end of the 7th day... with large W/C gravel vac - not sure if they died from Tilapia or Bass gave it to them -

all bass eating - one Orino looks stressed though....

Any thoughts or tips welcome!

Reactions: bassinmike85
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store