MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice kilis. Great photos.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I had a pair, but gave it away. They really are that colorful all the time. They will also eat fish at least half their size, and their mouths open wider than their bodies.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
scientific name: aphyosemion australe

common name: lyretail killifish, gold australe, orange australe, (and more)

care level: very easy

adult size range: 1.5-2 inches

pH: prefers 5.5-7, can adapt to (and breed in) higher ph

temperature: low to mid 70's

origin/distribution: parts of Gabon and the Gabon-Congo border

temperament: conspesifically aggressive, males will fight for females and territory, but said fights usually don't end in injury.
other than that they are mostly peaceful

compatible tankmates: anything that won't eat them and isn't small enough to be eaten (or isn't a small invertebrate/snail)

diet: prefers live invertebrates but will take dry or frozen foods consisting of said invertebrates. will also eat small snails

minimum tank size for adult: 10 gallon, can be bred in smaller

narrative: it is (apparently) advised to keep multiple females to a male, however my pair is doing fine in their 10 gallon. the main cause for alarm is the male chasing the female in hopes of mating too much, sort of like with guppies, but i haven't seen any of that with my pair. in fact, the female follows the male around the tank, but still sometimes, the other way around. the male will do his little display for her and all, she won't be interested and they'll go their separate ways (for a bit), then go back to their normal routines.
finding something they'd eat was quite a chore, i tried feeding them dry foods like insect based fry foods, krill based flakes, bug bites, and a tiny sample pellet i got somewhere. i have concluded that while they will take tiny foods like fry foods, they will always prefer live or frozen invertebrates. they did also eat the snails that hitchhiked on some of the plants.

other notes: this species comes in a variety of colors, mostly regional variants. some include the "orange australe", "gold australe", and "chocolate".

references: my experience + seriouslyfish, also piscavore's format

killis.gif

link.gif

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe

Scientific Name: Cottus bairdi

Common name: Mottled Sculpin

Care Level: moderate

Size: 3-4"

pH and KH range: pH 7.0

Temperature range: 40-62*F

Origin: North America, shallow streams with a fairly fast current and highly oxygenated

Temperament: territorial, especially among other sculpins

Compatible Tankmates: daces, shiners, etc.

Diet: Carnivore. Insect larvae, smaller fish, crayfish

Tank Size for Adult: 10 gallon

Narrative: An oddball North American native species. They like cold waters with a currents, similar to trout environments. The water must be highly oxygenated. For a substrate, use round river stones with larger ones on top for shelter.

References: http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/cottusbairdi.html
http://www.nativefish.org/articles/goodbad.php
You should have chiller for this fish.It is fish for keeping only during winter,autumn in unheated room.simillar problem i had with EUROPEAN SCULPIN...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store