The fight for a fish tank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a thought, to get breeding experience, you might want to try breeding killifish.
They spawn in small spaces (some can be bred in 1 gallon jars), eggs can be stored in damp peat for months, and can often be sold or traded for other species in that semi dried state.
And they have a very very "cultish", dedicated following. The American killifish Assn is a great source of fish, and eggs, I have attended their conventions a couple times, and bought my kills at their auctions.
Below a pair of Gularis, Fundulopanchax sjoetedti

and below, a Pachypanchax playfairii , from the Seychelles

mine spawned in my smallest tanks, in leaf litter on the substrate

Reactions: Fat Homer

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a thought, to get breeding experience, you might want to try breeding killifish.
They spawn in small spaces (some can be bred in 1 gallon jars), eggs can be stored in damp peat for months, and can often be sold or traded for other species in that semi dried state.
And they have a very very "cultish", dedicated following. The American killifish Assn is a great source of fish, and eggs, I have attended their conventions a couple times, and bought my kills at their auctions.
Below a pair of Gularis, Fundulopanchax sjoetedti

and below, a Pachypanchax playfairii , from the Seychelles

mine spawned in my smallest tanks, in leaf litter on the substrate

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Hello; So there is a history of your behavior that is a basis for the parental decision. You apparently could not make the existing tanks work without making problems.

That you tried to keep fish in tanks too small for them seems poor judgment on your part already. If you have small tanks keep fish that fit. Do not get large fish until after you already have the large enough tanks. To many on this forum have either too many fish in a tank or way too big of a fish. You appear to have gone about this backwards.
My take is that proper dedication includes housing fish in a proper sized tank, not have too big fish for a tank and then scrambling to try to keep them alive.
This, right here.

You've left a bad impression with them. I'd say the best way to get back in their good books is to start small (under 10 gallons) and prove that you can handle it.

And of course, their house, their rules. If they say no, then accept it and move on. Don't pester and annoy, let some time pass (months, not days or weeks) and then gently try again.

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Try a pond. Then it doesn't have to take up any room in the house. That's what I did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store