The Hypocrite thread mbu

johnny1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2008
vancouver
so im starting to get really annoyed of all the negative with mbu puffers and need huge tanks . yes i do believe they need big tank, but not a 1000G. i would say for one 400G and up. with the right turn around space.
NOW THIS IS THE MONSTERFISHKEEPERS FORUM I BET ALMOST 80% OF PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE FISH THAT SHOULD ALL BE TARGETED FOR BEING IN SMALL TANKS. NOT JUST THE MBU AND TO BELIEVE THE PUFFER FORUM PUFFERPUNK SAYS . I LIKE THE PUFFER FORUM AND THERES ALOT OF GOOD INFO ON THERE. BUT MAN REALLY PEACOCK BASS SHOULD BE IN 500G, OSCARS SHOULD BE IN 300G, UP AROWANAS SHOULD BE IN 500G AND UP, RED TAILS CATFISH SHOULD BE IN 2500G TANKS ,SNAKEHEADS SHOULD BE IN 400G AND UP RAYS SHOULD BE IN 600G AND UP BELIEVE THAT BECUASE JOHNNYFISHTANKS WROTE THAT . MAJOR PAIN WHEN EVERY ONE HAS NOTHING TO DO BUT TARGET THE MBU BECUASE THATS WHAT THEY READ. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER FISH. I HOPE YOU GUYS ALL BELIEVE EVERY THING I WROTE. MY GOAL IS TO HAVE A FRIENDLY GIANT PUFFER FORUM FOR PEOPLE TO GOIN .

puffa lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
surrey
Totally agree with you, a 1000g - 8 x 5 x 4 tank for a fish that reaches 2 ft with a very flexible tail :ROFL:350 - 400g tank would be fine.

chris.clay11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
NorCal
Yeah i agree spoke with Jeff Rapps himself after being told nothing smaller then a 210 for a pair of Dovi he said his pair were in a 150 personaly i would take his advice over anyone on this website.

Reactions: mrwalker52

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
puffa lover;4978840; said:
Totally agree with you, a 1000g - 8 x 5 x 4 tank for a fish that reaches 2 ft with a very flexible tail :ROFL:350 - 400g tank would be fine.
It actually reaches over 2ft, about 27" inches according to Fishbase and its tail is flexible yes, but doesn't mean it should be constantly bent either... its like saying well if a person sits down they only need a 3ft roof above their head and they'll be comfortable... when in reality it would be nice to stand up and stretch...

Also i've read a few articles of people keeping these fish in tanks between 300G - 500G in the past and how all there fish suffered from bent cardinal fins and dying after a few years of keeping...

Either way, i'm not really here to argue or start one for that matter, since i know this is one of those topics that will keep coming back up, and there will always be people who support one side or the other...

So as far as i'm personally concerned i'd never keep an MBU in anything less than about 800G, whatever people on here want to keep them in, i'm sure they'll do it regardless of advice a lot of the time...

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
PEACOCK BASS SHOULD BE IN 500G, OSCARS SHOULD BE IN 300G, UP AROWANAS SHOULD BE IN 500G AND UP, RED TAILS CATFISH SHOULD BE IN 2500G TANKS ,SNAKEHEADS SHOULD BE IN 400G AND UP RAYS SHOULD BE IN 600G AND UP
+1

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
I would say 8x4x30" would be a minimum for this fish, extra depth could be added for viewing benefit.

To the OP, have you ever kept a 24" Mbu?

They are far from gracefull i feel bad about my 9" being in a 4x2.

(long story short i broke the 8x2 in transit so i ordered an 8x3x2)

They grow slowly you are right but ultimately will reach at least 30" the size reading you have read does not include tail and this Puffers tail is simply massive.

This is not a fish to be baught on impulse but i fully agree that a 450G thats wide say 8x4x2 would be ideal for a Mbu by itself!

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Some of the tank sizes to fish you wrote are a little high, espcially the oscar. Anyways, I have been in these convos before and argued about it as well. I have owned 5 MBUs and currently have an MBU at 23" in a 180 living perfectly fine.

Its weird that those people that say an MBU belong in a 1000 gallon tank as a minimum have yet to respond to this thread.........:screwy:

puffa lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
surrey
It doesnt make any sense that MBUs need 1000 gallons, you ask them why do they need 1000g? they respond by saying they need 1000 gallons becouse they get to 3ft in lengh (there has never been a reported 3ft MBU kept in captivity!!!) then i reply back by saying why does a "3ft" fish need a tank size of 8ft x 4ft x 5ft tank? then they start talking about the fishs bio load and the amout it needs feeding it needs even though they need the same amout of food as all the other fish ive kept, but if that was true why have to buy a £2000.00 tank? just buy lots of filters - much cheaper to buy 2-3 filters than a new tank. And then to finish it of they give it the old your fish is stunted at 24inch:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store