The Lungfish Identification Thread

Steve87125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2012
Mahopac
Lung Boy.JPGHad this guy get over 22" before I had to take him back to the LFS. Hes still There, hoping once my fish are bigger i can get him back.

Lung Boy.JPG

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thinking about picking this guy up. Listed as a Spotted African Lungfish. Just wondering if it really was, thanks.
Looks like a West African lungfish (Protopterus annectens ssp.) to me. The spotted variety is often labelled as "spotted African lungfish" when the lungfish that's more commonly identified by that name is a completely different species.

Dapper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
United States
Can I get an ID on this guy? He is about 7". Currently in a 75 gallon tank. The fish store owner said he'd had the fish for about a year. I'm guessing some kind of African lungfish. It looks a heck of a lot like a gilled lungfish, but as far as I know those don't really get imported to the US. I'm primarily interested in figuring out how big he will get, and if I will need to plan on purchasing a larger tank or transfer smaller fish out of the current tank.

Thanks in advance
!P8300009.JPG
P8300015.JPG

P8300009.JPG

P8300015.JPG

lisham

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
Langkawi, Malaysia
Hello from Malaysia... I have 4 lungfish that I suspect to be P. annectens... reading from your posts that said if the belly marking remains, then it is p. annectens brieni... I think I have 1 p. annectens brieni while the other 3 are p. annectens annectens... I came across a p. dolloi and it costs almost 3 times of my other lungfish... When I bought my 4 lungfish... Their price ranged between RM150-RM80 a tail....

My question is- how do you differentiate between p. annectens and p. dolloi? Is there a picture for me to refer to?

Thanks.

Warm regards from Malaysia.

lungfish.jpg
(first lungfish, on the left-suspected to be P.annectens brieni)

lungfish2.jpg
the first lungfish when it first arrived

[video=youtube_share;yf3dzAPKCeE]http://youtu.be/yf3dzAPKCeE[/video]
my 3 other lungfish when they first arrived, now each living in their own 4' tank.

lungfish.jpg

lungfish2.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
P Aethipicus, or marbled. Nice fish.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com