The male puffer is hanging on female puffer’s belly

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Please see attached video.

This male puffer is hanging on the belly for hours. I worry that this mating exercise may hurt the female puffer.
Can you please tell if I should separate them by force? I tried to distract them but the male is not letting the female go.

Reactions: wednesday13

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Finally they have released but the big female puffer that had a big belly now looks deflated and there no big belly like before. I started searching in the tank and found eggs. I have plecos and other guppies. Will they eat those eggs? If yes, Should I move the eggs or let it be there?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The other fish will likely eat the eggs.
If you are up to the challenge of raising puffer fry, siphon the eggs out and move them into a separate tank.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Congrats, this is exciting! We need some more puffer people in this thread.

Fat Homer Fat Homer

Do puffers practice nest or brood care like cichlids? If yes, I'd say "adios!" to everybody else in the tank and remove all but the parents. If not, maybe remove the eggs to a properly-filtered and aerated tank for hatching?

Fingers crossed for you!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Any container will work until they hatch. Add an air stone with gentle flow. Or a net breeder or fry box will work.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Congrats, this is exciting! We need some more puffer people in this thread.

Fat Homer Fat Homer

Do puffers practice nest or brood care like cichlids? If yes, I'd say "adios!" to everybody else in the tank and remove all but the parents. If not, maybe remove the eggs to a properly-filtered and aerated tank for hatching?

Fingers crossed for you!
Normally puffers will care for the eggs but if its their first time some may not get as much attention due to lack of experience, also as mentioned above you'll need to watch that other fish don't pick them off...

So its up to you if you remove the eggs and try to take care of them yourself till they hatch or if you want to divide / protect the eggs in the tank with the parents...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store