- The Masked Shadow's Gardening Thread -

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Oh, almost forgot. I have a garden behind our house where I have perennials and shrubs, but my favourite is the tree I planted in the front lawn, about 6 years ago now. I love these trees. Does anyone know what it is?

View attachment 1448122
you mentioned this somewhere else..... Something monkey? I don't remember

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
you mentioned this somewhere else..... Something monkey? I don't remember
Go on, i'll give you a scooby snack for that. It originates from South America. It's called an Araucaria....common name 'monkey puzzle tree'. They grow absolutely huge. Mine is about 15 feet from the front window. If I live until i'm about 180, lol, it's bottom branches will be in my living room!

Some people have pothos in their tanks, not me, lol.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Well, a few months later and this is what I have:

Parsley
Lettuce
Cilantro
Sage Bourbon
Dill
Sugar Snap Peas
Oregano
Pinnacle Moss
2 types of Thyme
Chard
Arugula
Pansies
Asyllum
Bell Pepper
Coriander
Curry Plant
Chamomile
Goose Berry

And more :)

Reactions: 0wen_96

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
So, I have been into keeping things since I was 6. So...naturally...my mom introduced me to gardening. A year or 2 ago, My mom and I got a wooden cube of about 6 feet. We also have PLENTY of pots. So, we forgot about it in the business of a lot of other things. We just got some plants - edibles, and nonedibles -. Things we got and planted are

(Nonedibles)

- Pansies (My sister picked these out. They are soooo pretty
- Milkweed (Came with Caterpillars!)
- Plumeria (Looks tropical. The flowers are so pretty!
- Something that looks like American Sycamore (Here, it is called a Daisy Tree. They can get up to 10 feet tall.
- Assorted Orchids (Love the flowers. We keep them indoors in the kitchen and on the table)
- Jacaranda (We already have 2 of them, one is 20 feet tall. But, we love them so much that we got another)
- Some kind of Fern (I believe it is Rabbit-foot Fern, but am not sure. I have it in the kitchen. Small right now, and gorgeous green)
- Assorted flower Seed Pack (100 seeds, and pretty. They look like weeds, but thee flowers are pretty)

(edibles)

- Italian Parsley (Really good! Our Cats like eating the leaves)
- Catmint (for our cats, naturally)
- Sage Berggarten (I just like the look of it. It gets large, as well)
- Sweet Marjoram (My mom loves it. Easy to grow)
- Mojito Mint (Just like any other mint. Delicious smell, and spicy kind of taste)
- Coriander Cilantro (Easy to grow, and gets relatively large)
- Krim Tomatoes (The Krim tomatoes originate from the Crimea Peninsula near the black sea. Exactly like Kalamata Tomatoes. My favorite!)
- Patio Tomatoes (Cheap, and easy to grow. Survived the waterless summer. It is mealy, but it is sweet!)
- Cherry Tomatoes (Yummy, and easy to grow. Very sweet, and survived the waterless summer)
- Oregano (This survived the waterless summer. Very easy to grow; just gets big)
- Pineapple Mint (This also survived our summer without water
- Sugar Snap Peas (Sweet and easy to grow. We love how it curls around)
- Arugula (Very easy! Flowers very weird)
- Assorted Edible Flowers (Colors: Purple, White, Red, and White.
- Elite Simpson Lettuce Heads (This lettuce is wrinkly and leafy. Lettuce is relatively easy. Just take off the flowers every few weeks)
- Swiss Chard (VERY Hardy. Survived our non-watering for a year. My mom loves it)
- Sorrel (very easy to grow. We use it to feed our Desert Tortoises)
- Curry plant (Easy to grow, and doesn't like a lot of water)
- Chamomile (My mom made tea. It was so good!

Let me know if you want to see a specific thing.
Wow The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow ,
That is one heck of a list of flowers, plants, vegetables and herbs! You must have a serious green thumb. I sounds like quite the undertaking, especially the 20' Jacaranda. Good luck with your gardening endeavors. Don't forget pics when they are blooming. ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Aquariums and gardening have always gone together well for me.
Using old fish water on the plants from my every other day water changes (every day during hot spells) adds moisture and nutrients.
Here being only 50 feet from the Pacific many plants do not do well, but a few seem to tolerate the salt air.
F61467B6-E4EE-41AA-AF20-7E6292522A8B_1_201_a.jpeg
A small banana tree above, lemon grass below.
5BA6C25D-B24F-4AED-B1E6-7DCB9D25FCF0_1_201_a.jpeg
The passion fruit vine is starting to fruit.
FF91E5AB-D52B-4D85-B969-CE79F1544BDF_1_201_a.jpeg
And because my tanks are also in the garden, and patio, I'm attempting to grow orchid, placed on the tank rim, but not touching the water, just using the moisture as it evaporates from the tank.
CE9CAA92-CC5F-4F06-8C43-7E0A4D74882D_1_201_a.jpeg
Orchid flower below
856F820F-1919-4374-8634-954249ED86C1_1_201_a.jpeg
And broadleaf oregano tolerates the salt air.
CFDF2E25-CF4A-481F-BE8A-AF8FFF3B828E_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: Fat Homer and deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store