The MFKers Guide to Keeping Turtles and Fish Together

freebody

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2013
Surrey BC
anyone know if you can put channa micropeltis with a fly river turtle if I raised them together? would I need to worry about the turtle or the fish, im thinking if I raised them together it should be ok as long as I build the tank extra big. I got a few baby red snake heads about 6" and im able to get a really healthy fly river turtle about 6-7" atm. Im hoping someone knows anyone who has had success?

lennym

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2013
devon
i keep a musk turtle with cardinal teras, corydoras and discus and they all live on great harmony aside some tussles over the bloodworms but nothing nasty

Reactions: weston

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
i keep a musk turtle with cardinal teras, corydoras and discus and they all live on great harmony aside some tussles over the bloodworms but nothing nasty
It can work for some amount of time, but it almost always ends in the turtle spontaneously deciding it wants to eat any and all fish.

anyone know if you can put channa micropeltis with a fly river turtle if I raised them together? would I need to worry about the turtle or the fish, im thinking if I raised them together it should be ok as long as I build the tank extra big. I got a few baby red snake heads about 6" and im able to get a really healthy fly river turtle about 6-7" atm. Im hoping someone knows anyone who has had success?
That wouldn't be a good idea... raising them together doesn't matter... snakeheads are known to target turtles as food. And I have seen snakeheads kill a frt.

This thread needs a change... musk turtles DO need UVA/UVA lighting. I have seen them basking in the wild, and i have seen some do horribly when not provided the right lighting.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
This thread needs a change... musk turtles DO need UVA/UVA lighting. I have seen them basking in the wild, and i have seen some do horribly when not provided the right lighting.
I had a loggerhead musk (Sternotherus minor) for 4 years without UV. It grew to the appropriate size, ate regularly, and was all around healthy.Many care sheets state the same for common musks. There may be some other species out there that need it but most Sternotherus are fine without.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I had a loggerhead musk (Sternotherus minor) for 4 years without UV. It grew to the appropriate size, ate regularly, and was all around healthy.Many care sheets state the same for common musks. There may be some other species out there that need it but most Sternotherus are fine without.
Loggerheads might be explainable, they are deeper water lovers if I remember correctly.... But i have seen commons with shell and bone issues from a lack of uva/uvb. I think it should be provided. If nothing else, as a precaution.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I once had a 10 inch red ear slider with a 12 inch brycon 5 inch pike cichlid and 11 inch green sunfish and 15 inch watercow no issues except when the water cow got bored he would attack the slider for fun lol it was pretty cool to watch

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I once had a 10 inch red ear slider with a 12 inch brycon 5 inch pike cichlid and 11 inch green sunfish and 15 inch watercow no issues except when the water cow got bored he would attack the slider for fun lol it was pretty cool to watch
It can be done. But 9 out of 10 times the turtle snaps one day, and eats everything. And assuming you have the exception is risky, and most likely will cost you your fish.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Well he would try to chase them, but they were too quick except the watercow who stood his ground and the turtle would retreat into his shell or swim away really fast lol I've had it for about a year and a half now and the brycon sometimes dive bombs the turtles shell but it has all gone well except I hand feed turtle since he gets outcompeted or leave it on the land/dock. I dont think it's an exception, maybe because large sliders become primarily herbivorious and also because I have fast fish and aggressive fish maybe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store