The natural themed monster fish tank build

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Well it’s time for an update! The tank went pea green within the first week of setting it up and the bog wood was growing hair algae like crazy! I’m a sucker for bare tanks and gave up with the scape! I really liked it and it definitly looked great but for long term health of the tank I think it was best to remove it. The fish also have more space now and maintenance will be better for me. I plan to get a few more fish for the tank maybe in the next few months but still not sure what yet. I also installed a UV light which has kept the water crystal clear. Here’s some pictures

1BF0AD00-3F2E-4607-9ABA-AF6B993B2D31.jpegB20D5A2F-798F-4FDA-A0F5-9ACB5F6465D1.jpeg547E5CA0-BC17-42B2-ADEB-DBC7A5991385.jpeg8EBF49F5-3351-49AE-ADB5-7F375A2F7805.jpeg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Sad to see the plants and wood out, but if it's best for the fish...it's best.

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Sad to see the plants and wood out, but if it's best for the fish...it's best.
Agreed it was a shame but definitely for the best for many reasons. Hopefully space for a few new additions now just need to decide what.
thanks

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Did you do uv before you removed the bogwood/plants or after

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Lol maybe put the bogwood back in and see if it still works if you get bored of this style later on. Cool trick. Im starting to look into UV treatments for my own tanks.

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Lol maybe put the bogwood back in and see if it still works if you get bored of this style later on. Cool trick. Im starting to look into UV treatments for my own tanks.
I'm sure the water will definitly stay clear with the bogwood in but it was growing hair alage like crazy and trapping loads of dirt making cleaning difficult. I may clean it down and put it back in without the plants though as it did look cool!

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I'm sure the water will definitly stay clear with the bogwood in but it was growing hair alage like crazy and trapping loads of dirt making cleaning difficult. I may clean it down and put it back in without the plants though as it did look cool!
If it was gathering dirt, having a pump run a current over the wood will help. The hair algae was likely more a result of it being a newly setup tank than anything. You should be good even if you didn’t have the UV once the tank settles and balances itself out.
Either way, congrats on the new setup and the amazing collection you’ve built so far.

Reactions: 14crazychris

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
If it was gathering dirt, having a pump run a current over the wood will help. The hair algae was likely more a result of it being a newly setup tank than anything. You should be good even if you didn’t have the UV once the tank settles and balances itself out.
Either way, congrats on the new setup and the amazing collection you’ve built so far.
Totally agree with you there, really when it came down to it I love bare tanks. Im used to keeping high grade fancy goldfish in bare tanks and I just love how all the focus is on the fish. I much prefer the tank now, I’m really liking it. I’m thinking about future stocking ideas. A few things I had in mind would be 5 earth eaters, I thought about 3 nice sevrums or another ray. Not sure which one of those options I will go for but there’s no rush.
thanks

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Totally agree with you there, really when it came down to it I love bare tanks. Im used to keeping high grade fancy goldfish in bare tanks and I just love how all the focus is on the fish. I much prefer the tank now, I’m really liking it. I’m thinking about future stocking ideas. A few things I had in mind would be 5 earth eaters, I thought about 3 nice sevrums or another ray. Not sure which one of those options I will go for but there’s no rush.
thanks
That’ll be sweet.

Reactions: 14crazychris
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store