The "one inch per gallon" rule

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Never followed that rule. Just know the species and how pristine they can handle along with your W/Cs and filterations. Discus keepers change their water 2-3x a day sometimes at 90%. It depends on fish and your experience.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Never followed that rule. Just know the species and how pristine they can handle along with your W/Cs and filterations. Discus keepers change their water 2-3x a day sometimes at 90%. It depends on fish and your experience.
Yeah some discus keepers are anal about their water changes. I do mine weekly not a big deal they are just cichlids at the end of the day. I won't be keeping mine for long though I thought I'd like them with their colors and schooling behavior but too docile for me.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Technicly, petco and petsmart and most small LFS still apply 1 inch per gallon to most live stock they are carrying. Yesterday, I was in a small local tropical fish store and a dude come in and point at a Juv. Emperor Angel (4 inches) and the store owner said the guy would need a 20G saltwater for that angel. I jumped in and said you can't do that...The store owner look at me and tell the guy "might be 30G tank should be fine!" /rage :mad: That owner even told that dude buy water from him along with a new 30G tank setup for that angel. Again, I said you will need VERY big tank like 180G+ with ton of live rock and few thousand bucks for a new tank setup...Well, the store owner asked me to leave his shop hehehe.....

Reactions: ShanerBock888

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Technicly, petco and petsmart and most small LFS still apply 1 inch per gallon to most live stock they are carrying. Yesterday, I was in a small local tropical fish store and a dude come in and point at a Juv. Emperor Angel (4 inches) and the store owner said the guy would need a 20G saltwater for that angel. I jumped in and said you can't do that...The store owner look at me and tell the guy "might be 30G tank should be fine!" /rage :mad: That owner even told that dude buy water from him along with a new 30G tank setup for that angel. Again, I said you will need VERY big tank like 180G+ with ton of live rock and few thousand bucks for a new tank setup...Well, the store owner asked me to leave his shop hehehe.....
That guy was probably the same guy who told me to get a Pacu for my 10 gallon tank when I was 12 years old. LOL when I eventually got him a 55 gallon he got too big I just donated him to a LFS lol

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I'm starting to think there are very few LFS owners that have a conscience. Every one in my area does stuff like that, and on this forum you can read thousands of versions of the same story. Very strange to me that so many hobbyists get so attached to their fish and want to give them the best possible, but so much of the industry that supports our hobby is so immoral. Not saying all, there are good ones of course, but the vast majority it seems.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
the rules crap, its like applying that to your wife, say 1" per 20 pounds. just makes no sense. some fish tall and thick, some fish long and skinny, some fish long, tall and thick, to do anything close to water volume to fish it would be by weight not length.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Not read the thread, but it's the dumbest rule I think I've ever heard.

No, it is 100% the dumbest.
If you can't bother to read, why comment?
You might be enlightened by what guppy had to say. The man had more experience keeping fish than 99% of the people on this board..

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Browsing the web and stumbled into a article about gars species...The last word from the author is make me sadly laugh...
"Gars make intriguing fish to keep in a large tank. Full-grown gars get way too big for most people. Happily, they stunt down to fit in smaller tanks. Give them at least a 55. LA."

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
The pet stores around my house told me to house 10 adult Oscars in my 100 gallon.. He said the more the fish the lesser the aggression.. I got fooled.. Got 6 adolescents.. Kept them for 5 months.. Joined this forum and another one.. Learnt a bit.. Sold off 2 Oscars..

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store