The Piranha Nutrition Thread

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
What fish would you recommend to me (I am new in keeping Piranha)? I am looking at either the Black Piranha or a Gold diamond Piranha, both are relatively the same. Or as a newbie should i go with a few Red Bellies?
Depending on tank size red bellies. Get babies.

I feed my new rhoms (about 9") with frozen tails of shrimps right now, I've only had him for like 10 days and he is used to it so therefore he just have tails of shrimps right now. But I think it's poor nutrients in them so I'm considering switching to whole frozen shrimp with shell and everything. What do you think about that? Is it OK if he gets the whole shrimp with shell?
The shell on shell off debate is still on going, but when I used to feed shrimp it was raw with shell on. They like it and its good protein but from all my research I've concluded its not the BEST staple food for your fish! IMO talapia is a great white fish that is inexpensive, you can buy a huge bag of frozen fillets at your grocery. But like most animals variety is good so supplementing other foods are suggested. I feed talapia 1x per week and NLS jumbo fish formula 1-2xper week and they thrive and since your fish are of similar size you can do the same, a hungry fish is a healthy fish! Shrimp can still be fed occasionally as a treat.

Overfeeding can cause lethargy and a whole host of other problems, one being organ failure!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

fyriskung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Sweden
The shell on shell off debate is still on going, but when I used to feed shrimp it was raw with shell on. They like it and its good protein but from all my research I've concluded its not the BEST staple food for your fish! IMO talapia is a great white fish that is inexpensive, you can buy a huge bag of frozen fillets at your grocery. But like most animals variety is good so supplementing other foods are suggested. I feed talapia 1x per week and NLS jumbo fish formula 1-2xper week and they thrive and since your fish are of similar size you can do the same, a hungry fish is a healthy fish! Shrimp can still be fed occasionally as a treat.

Overfeeding can cause lethargy and a whole host of other problems, one being organ failure!

Thank you so much for your reply! The only problem is that he does not eat anything other than tails of shrimps (yet), I've tried with salmon and hikari cichlid gold (large / floating), but he do not take em. It seems there is bad access on talapia in Sweden, but I'll check it out. What do you think about trying with herring? It was really sad that he did not accept the pellets, because that is what I most want to give him. I hope he will be better at food later, I've only had him for 10 days.

Another question, how much fod should he have every time I feed him?

pic

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Thank you so much for your reply! The only problem is that he does not eat anything other than tails of shrimps (yet), I've tried with salmon and hikari cichlid gold (large / floating), but he do not take em. It seems there is bad access on talapia in Sweden, but I'll check it out. What do you think about trying with herring? It was really sad that he did not accept the pellets, because that is what I most want to give him. I hope he will be better at food later, I've only had him for 10 days.

pic
10 days means the fish is still acclimating to his new home!

The fish is big enough that you can go without food for a week and then drop in some pellets in the tank! My bets are he will eat them and like them!

Realistically adult piranhas are opportunistic feeders in the wild and they eat when they can, so realistically they can sustain a month, even more w/o food! 1 week is nothing, just to get him hungry!

Try a week with no food and then add pellets. Let me know what happens!

BTW herring is a sw fish but a whitefish none the less so he should enjoy, although I'd advise getting him on a good pellet 1st!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

jryegolds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
USA

The fish is big enough that you can go without food for a week and then drop in some pellets in the tank! My bets are he will eat them and like them!

Realistically adult piranhas are opportunistic feeders in the wild and they eat when they can, so realistically they can sustain a month, even more w/o food! 1 week is nothing, just to get him hungry!

BTW herring is a sw fish but a whitefish none the less so he should enjoy, although I'd advise getting him on a good pellet 1st!

While I agree that its important to get pygos on a pellet I don't think starving the fish is the best way to do this. I would recommend buying some Garlic Guard and soaking the pellets in it before feeding to the fish. This has worked wonders for me when I made the switch to floating pellets. I also would recommend trying to use a sinking pellet like Massivore Delite which is how I got mine to start eating pellets. Piranha can be timid and might not be as willing to go after a floating pellet, just be careful with these pellets since they have a very high caloric value and overfeeding can foul your water quickly. Also remember to add variety to your piranha's diet. I personally use 2 different pellets, Hikari Cichlid Gold and Massivore Delite, interchangeably. I also will occasionally feed them Tilapia soaked in Kent's Zoe Supplement, and vegetables. I have only tried live feedings twice and I have never had success with this. My first attempt resulted in a bunch of fully intact shrimp dead on the bottom of my tank and my second attempt has resulted in my tank being stocked with a mix of rbps and convict cichlids, I'm still quite confused over this but I guess this is a good problem to have in contrast to it being the other way around. Pellets aren't only healthier for your fish but they also make feeding easier and it makes it much easier to have someone take care of them when you are away from home.

fyriskung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Sweden

Again, thanks for your advice! Today, for about 2 minutes ago, the fish took atlantic cod!:) But no great piece, I onely wanted to try cod on him. If I continue with cod for a while, how much do you think I should give him each time?

fyriskung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Sweden
While I agree that its important to get pygos on a pellet I don't think starving the fish is the best way to do this. I would recommend buying some Garlic Guard and soaking the pellets in it before feeding to the fish. This has worked wonders for me when I made the switch to floating pellets. I also would recommend trying to use a sinking pellet like Massivore Delite which is how I got mine to start eating pellets. Piranha can be timid and might not be as willing to go after a floating pellet, just be careful with these pellets since they have a very high caloric value and overfeeding can foul your water quickly. Also remember to add variety to your piranha's diet. I personally use 2 different pellets, Hikari Cichlid Gold and Massivore Delite, interchangeably. I also will occasionally feed them Tilapia soaked in Kent's Zoe Supplement, and vegetables. I have only tried live feedings twice and I have never had success with this. My first attempt resulted in a bunch of fully intact shrimp dead on the bottom of my tank and my second attempt has resulted in my tank being stocked with a mix of rbps and convict cichlids, I'm still quite confused over this but I guess this is a good problem to have in contrast to it being the other way around. Pellets aren't only healthier for your fish but they also make feeding easier and it makes it much easier to have someone take care of them when you are away from home.
Garlic Guard sounds like a good tip! We have Massivore Delite in store to, I will try it out.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Again, thanks for your advice! Today, for about 2 minutes ago, the fish took atlantic cod!:) But no great piece, I onely wanted to try cod on him. If I continue with cod for a while, how much do you think I should give him each time?
Probably every 2-4 days as much as he can't eat. If it takes a week or two of fasting to get him to take pellets IMO its worth it, this isn't starving them as I said they are opportunistic feeders who eat when they can, during the dry season in the wild this can be days, weeks and months!

Cod is a fine protein and even if you do manage to get him on pellets you can certainly alternate foods and I recommend this! Yes you can raise a fish on just fillet protein or you can just raise a fish on a pellet but combined is even better, giving it some flesh to tear into with fillets, while making sure it still gets all its nutrients with a pellet equates to variety and a healthy diet!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Ive had difficulties getting my piranhas to take larger pellets.

Mine started on krill that I stuffed with very small NLS pellets.

Then I started to feed them hikari carnivore pellets (small massivore pellets) and soaked them in a garlic/vitamin mix.

Then I tried massivore, but they wouldnt take it, the pellets wont get soft all the way though, and by the time they do the outside is dissolving.

Enter Hikari's best food - Jumbo Carnisticks.

These can be thrown in a cup of tank water and in less than 5 minutes will be a fish fillet like consistency.

Predators absolutely love it.

No harm in starving the fish (short term) - but as pointed out, garlic might entice him to eat sooner, which would be better.

Good luck!

PS - My piranhas now eat my own personal food.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL

pic
You know I think it's fairly common for piranhas to target tails. They do this with live fish as well. In the wild, they nip each other's fins and tails. It's almost niche feeding behavior for piranhas. This behavior is what lead to the early scientific name of the pygocentrus piranhas (caribe or carib) which means "cannibal." I wouldn't worry about it too much. They probably do just fine eating the tails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store