The SImplest Overflow....

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
I been readin all these complicated overflow systems on the DIY section and I really dont understand why people go through sooo much effort. correct me if im wrong but If I were to buy 2 really big PVC pipes and put them vertical at the back of the tank going straight threw the bottom and into the sump, wouldnt that work perfectly fine?. i dont get this wholeuber complicated crap. I wanna keep it simple. Would this idea work?

And also does it matter if I use really big PVC pipes or small ones? because i want to make sure than those pipes can carry the necesary amount of water in case i decide in the future to have my tank cycle faster...

RS2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
Brisbane Australia
having a pvc pipe in the tank going straight though the bottom would work, but i'm pritty sure it wouldn't be very good flow since the top of the pipe would be level (or there abouts) with the top of the water, so the pressure to push water down the pipe would be low hence low flow

If u wanted to do that i'd make an overflow box (just a box that covers the hole at the bottom of the tank and finishes with slits at the top level to what u want the water level to be at) that way u have much more pressure @ the bulkhead @ the bottom of the tank and more flow)

thats what i think anyway, some1 please correct me if i'm wrong

RS2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
Brisbane Australia
couple of pics on what i think u mean and what i would do
2nd pic i would remove the pvc pipe commin up from the bulkhead

Tank.JPG

Tank1.jpg

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
RS2000;775621; said:
couple of pics on what i think u mean and what i would do
2nd pic i would remove the pvc pipe commin up from the bulkhead
sorry to sound stupid but whats the bulkhead?

and thats for the pics... thats exactly what i was thinking only now I can see Im not the only one thinking it :)

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
RS2000;775617; said:
having a pvc pipe in the tank going straight though the bottom would work, but i'm pritty sure it wouldn't be very good flow since the top of the pipe would be level (or there abouts) with the top of the water, so the pressure to push water down the pipe would be low hence low flow

If u wanted to do that i'd make an overflow box (just a box that covers the hole at the bottom of the tank and finishes with slits at the top level to what u want the water level to be at) that way u have much more pressure @ the bulkhead @ the bottom of the tank and more flow)

thats what i think anyway, some1 please correct me if i'm wrong
Are you sure about that? that doesnt sound right to me, as far as i can tell it would be gravity pulling the water down, which shud flow pretty decently. I would put slits at the top of the pipe ofcourse to avoid a god aweful noise being created by the water funneling down.

RS2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
Brisbane Australia
the bulkhead is the bit that that u put around the whole in the tank so that the water doesn't leak from it :)

and to get what i mean for the pressure have a read of http://www.grow.arizona.edu/Grow--GrowResources.php?ResourceId=188

it talks about the more pressure hence more flow you get the higher the water level is above the hole.

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
with an over flow situation, the ammount of flow you have depends on the pump size, or actually how much water the pump can return to the main tank.

having a streight pipe comming out of the bottom of the tank would work great, but it will probably be loud. (the air will gurgle and burp out of the pipe as it is displaced by the water)

people build dorso stand pipes to controll the ammount of air in the pipe and cut down on noise.

your over flow pipes should be located at the water level, if they are lower than you run the risk of flooding your sump when the power is shut down.

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
RS2000;775641; said:
the bulkhead is the bit that that u put around the whole in the tank so that the water doesn't leak from it :)

and to get what i mean for the pressure have a read of http://www.grow.arizona.edu/Grow--GrowResources.php?ResourceId=188

it talks about the more pressure hence more flow you get the higher the water level is above the hole.
ok i get what u mean with the pressure now... but what ur saying wudnt work though because if i put the whole lower the water level will be lower. the whole determines how high the water line is...

RS2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
Brisbane Australia
no what i said was the hole is at the bottom of the tank and u surround that with a box which goes up as high as u want the water level, that way the water height above the entrance of the hole is great but at most the water will drain that of which fills that container

edit/ put a pic up from http://www.glasscages.com/ that shows what i mean

fig1_big.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store