The truth in changing water

Wildy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
NEWCASTLE UK
So in theory a Uv will remove chloromines?

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
Wildy said:
So in theory a Uv will remove chloromines?

not that i'm aware of uv differ from reg sunlight heres a post i made a while ago

Needs More Room!

Group: MFK Members

Personal Gallery I stand corrected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I owe a couple of users here a apology you know who you are ,I recently stated in a thread on water changes that chloramine did not dissolve when airated but on further research i have found out this statement is incorrect so I've added some interesting info i found published by the San Frisco Publics Utilites commision:
Q 16: How much time will it take for both chloramine and chlorine to dissipate and at what ppm level? Can chloramine and/or ammonia be boiled out of water or dissipated by letting the water sit?

A: While both chlorine and chloramine residuals decrease with time. chloramine takes longer than free chlorine. The chloramine decomposition rate is also affected by the exposure to air and sunlight. Chloramine and ammonia, like chlorine, will eventually dissipate completely over time but it is not practical to let the water sit for these to dissipate. Unlike chlorine, which only takes a few days to dissipate when left to stand, chloramine may stay in water for a few weeks (SFPUC) and ammonia remains in the water even longer. It usually takes days for chloramine to be dissipated when exposed to air and sunlight.

Boiling the water will remove chlorine but it will take much longer to remove chloramine. There are chemicals available that quickly and effectively remove chloramine.

Q 17: Can charcoal filters remove ammonia?

A: Charcoal or granular activated carbon (GAC) treatment can reduce chloramine concentrations of 1 to 2 mg/L to less than 0.1 mg/L. GAC treatment may result in ammonia, chloride, and nitrogen gas as by-products of the adsorption process of chloramine and reaction with the carbon surface. The by-product concentrations will be low (e.g., less than 0.5 mg/L ammonia as nitrogen). However, it may be desirable to remove these by-products depending on water use (CDM, 2003).

To remove the low levels of chloramine by-products, GAC treatment should be followed by a reverse osmosis (RO) process. RO should not be used alone as the chloramine residual can damage the RO membrane elements. GAC treatment will remove the chloramine residual allowing RO to effectively remove portions of the other constituents. Owners of home RO units should contact the manufacturer of their units to determine if a GAC unit is installed upstream of the RO system.

GAC filters can also remove ammonia but nitrifying bacteria must establish themselves in the GAC column before ammonia removal can occur. Such an application would need to be followed by disinfection step with either a small RO unit or a UV lamp.

I refuse your reality and substitute it with mine
Adam Savage --- Myth Busters

xice99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2006
Philippines
<<< pardon my ignorance.

i used to change water every 2 months. ( i add about 1/10 of it weekly due to evaporation anyway). and when i change it's only 50%.

the 50% water is directly fed from our treated tap water (hard water + treatment). :WHOA:

my 2 75g had been the home of 9RBPs, 4 Oscars, 2 silver aros (excluding the current 2 aro) at one or another until they have outgrown it and transferred to our pond, 1000g and 300g pond. :grinyes:

reading this article, though no sickness or untoward mishaps happened (not counting my househelp accidently switching the plug overnight w/c killed 3 RBPs) makes me mend my ways.

I'll try to change 25% every week with 'standing' water (that must be a lot of work) :) .

will let you know in 3 months.

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
good info

marxxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
USA
Princley said:
i think what i am saying i have seen REEF tanks that almost never get water changed
they still r here since the 80's
they get small top offs
lolo some of thease tank gave the hobby coral frags

i would not do this
I think it is important to note the presence of metals in the water. They do not evaporate with the water. Every time a tank is topped oof, more metals are added. As water evaporates, it leaves more metals behind. The only way to remove them is through water changes.

Marxxxx

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
If your just toping up your water from evaporation think about the science behind all thats happening there. Water evaporates, but nothing is carried out with it. so when the water is evaporated it concentrates the biowaste left behind. toping off the water will dilute again but only to a point, the fish continue to add to it so you have to remember to do your regular water changes as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store