The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The Earthworm product I'm currently using is put directly into the tank but I've also mixed it with aquarium water too like some of the others, either way is fine. Eliminating the sedament is a "cleaner" way of adding but it's not absoultly necessary. I have MTS and Nerite snails in a couple of tanks and they are fine no adverse reaction what so ever. I have also used Rid-X with the same results all of them are almost identacal. I only used powder never liquid.

Reactions: RD.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
the product "Cycle" was mentioned, in relation to these septic additives working more effectively (what about the Stability product?). which prompts questions: will this stuff begin a legitimate tank cycling process, just like seeding from established tank filters? or at least, "on par" with Stability?
come on guys, cough up everything about this aspect.

Do antibiotics in tanks kill it?

I have noticed that my tanks wood is cleaning right up. very nice.

also, do all of you add probiotics designed for human consumption/ does it matter what strains?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^Since they containe both areobic and anareobic bacteria I would say yes, it could be used to cycle a tank. I never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Reactions: TreborSucsid

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
The product Cycle was mentioned as a possible contaminant introducing agent. See RD's post above.

I never believed in it, but never thought it could prove to be dangerous.

As to the Probiotics, mine are all from the Bacyllus family and i buy them in the pharmacy ( for human use )

Reactions: RD.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
^Since they containe both areobic and anareobic bacteria I would say yes, it could be used to cycle a tank. I never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
it would be interesting to run a side-by-side cycling experiment with Stability & these products.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The bacteria found in these various "dry" septic tank products do not contain nitrifying bacteria. Having said that, the non-pathogenic heterotrophic species of bacteria that are found in these septic tank products can definitely aid in nitrification by reducing ammonia & nitrite levels. I know this for fact as I used them to do just that close to a decade ago when setting up some new tanks. Here's a good read on the subject which explains the difference in the various bacteria. http://www.bioconlabs.com/autoheterobac.html

I believe that Seachem states that Stability contains "some" nitrifying bacteria, and IME it works quicker/better than simply using "dry" septic tank bacteria. Of course some established filter media will also get the job done, and if/when available will cycle a new tank instantly.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
The bacteria found in these various "dry" septic tank products do not contain nitrifying bacteria. Having said that, the non-pathogenic heterotrophic species of bacteria that are found in these septic tank products can definitely aid in nitrification by reducing ammonia & nitrite levels. I know this for fact as I used them to do just that close to a decade ago when setting up some new tanks. ..........
Thanks RD!

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
Neil,
Im a fan of Tropical Science (Nitromax in particular) but noticed they carry an "Immune Plus" formula that supposedly contains probiotics that help prevent disease.
From their website,

"Immune-Plus contains billions of scientifically cultivated “protector” bacteria, which create a dramatically healthier environment in the aquarium...
Utilizing 5 different strains of Probiotic bacteria, Immune-Plus controls a full-spectrum of pathogens including Ich, Aeromonas, and Vibrio without toxic build-up or harm to beneficial nitrifying bacteria. Will reduce fish loss by 40 to 70%"

http://www.tsbiolabs.com/product_p/ip-60.htm

The $15 bottle treats 1700+ gallons. Curious about what your view on this product is compared to the others in the market, including Stability?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Endo, all of these various companies use proprietary blends of bacteria, so exactly how one product measures up against another is impossible for me to say. One has to also keep in mind that when it comes to making claims such as controls a full-spectrum of pathogens including Ich, Aeromonas, and Vibrio, that may only be true for certain species of fish, kept in certain environmental conditions. As it relates to the vast amount of ornamental fish in this hobby, most of the science regarding pathogenic bacteria, and competitive exclusion, is still in its infancy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store