The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Woah…I got through a third of this thread and my head’s spinning. Too much info.

Can some verify the following:

1. Is RidX safe to use in an aquarium with all types of fish and shrimp?

2. Is the dosage still 1 tablespoon per50 gallons every 7-14 days?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am using the Bioclean and my fish have never looked better. Also the filter socks are not clogging up as fast and they rinse out easier as well. I wish I had figured this out 40 years ago.

I’ve put it in the breeder tank with tiny fry and it doesn’t disturb them at all. I don’t keep shrimp, but the tanks have snails in them and they are doing well too.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal

scottts210

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023
Hello. I have read though this thread several times now and have started to use 1/2tsp bio-clean every other day (after 30% water change) in my 210G tank with a 12" Oscar, a 8" Oscar, a 12" Pike, 5 red hook SDs, a 6" EBJD and a 6" BN Pleco. The big Oscar is recovering from a raging case of HITH, with some sort of secondary intestinal issue (pooping green even when not eating), during which my 57W UV sterilizer has been off to protect the meds used. I've also been trying to get him to eat epsom salt soaked food thanks to the massive, awesome, thread on that. Everybody else in the tank eats it but he really doesn't like it. His sores are healing slowly and I think he will recover.

During the time of no UV I read this thread and decided to try the bio-clean additions after treatment. Not only to slow sludge build-up in my filter, but to crowd out any bad bacteria that might be trying to explode after multi-antibiotic treatments. So far after a week or so, the tank water goes from crystal clear when first turning on the lights in the morning to a bit cloudy by the end of the day. I assume this is due to the bacterial growth.

I'm torn between the benefits of the good bacteria and the info that says keeping bacterial count in the water very low is necessary to prevent HITH.

Has anyone developed a protocol for use of this bacteria and a UV sterilizer? I'm guessing once the good bacteria are colonized on surfaces it would be OK to sterilize the water column?

Thanks.

Reactions: RD.

scottts210

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023

Interesting study, thank you. Looking at others in the same area of study it looks like some bacteria are a lot harder to kill with UV than others, and in all cases particulate matter needs to be less than 40 microns in size for full UV effectiveness. My 57 watt unit provides a dosage of about 900J/m^2 at 1000GPM at the end of its 14 month operating life, which is much faster than my FX-6 can pump and more than 60x higher UV than the levels used in the referenced study if I did my math right.

So I guess I could interpret this two ways for my specific question:

1) Go ahead and use the UV because heterotrophic bacteria are hard to kill with it and it seems to kill at least some bad bacteria very effectively, especially if the UV is used right after filtration and filtration is very effective. I don't know what it would take to filter down to 40 microns but I imagine it would be expensive and would clog A LOT (I could be wrong). The use of the UV might further improve the good/bad bacteria ratio when used with the bio-clean in some sort of timed protocol.

2) Don't bother with UV because it can't achieve good enough pathogen reduction anyway. The UV sure didn't prevent HITH in my Oscar. Of course I realize he could have been carrying an internal parasite parasite for a long time before his immune system was overwhelmed. I sure wish we had a mobile fish vet like the Australian doc in the youtube videos.

#2 sure seems easier. However, I might try adding bio-clean after water change and wait 24 hours to turn on UV. With my every other day WCs that means I'm basically alternating days UV on/UV off. Now how would I tell if its doing any good? If I had a microscope could I test the water for various types of bacteria, etc? I'll have to research what that would take.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, tough call and I have zero experience with us in fish tanks. Good luck, I hope your O bounces back!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Almost 11 yrs & 105K views into this experiment, and I have to say that I believe I have got this dialed in right where I want it to be. I just cleaned my filter media in my midas tank, at 6+ months. Dirty for sure, but not so much that with the naked eye I could see any reduction in filter flow. I suspect that many tanks have dirtier media at 6 weeks. lol

Between the Bio-Clean bacteria, and my current intermittent fasting feeding schedule, I can easily go 6-7 months between cleanings in my midas tank. My feed reduction over this past year has been drastic, simply to see how much overall waste I could reduce, without creating any noticeable difference in the shape/form/overall health of my fish. These are all mature fish, with my male midas being approx. 14" and almost 12 yrs old now. Most weeks they get fed every 3-4 days, with no food a couple days before water change day, and often no food for a day after. Some weeks, I feed 2-3 days in a row - then back to fasting for a few days. No hard fast rule, just a LOT less food frequency, with the same amount of overall feed, that I used to offer at each feeding. A ballpark guess would be 30-40% less overall feed each week, than in years past. I rarely see solid waste in my tanks, and the midas tank has only algae for substrate. Other than settling under the edge of some rather large granite boulders, if it's there, I could always see it.

I believe that my current feed schedule would more closely mimic what these species would experience in nature, and the sludge bacteria work in the background to keep solid waste to a minimum. Water change schedule in this tank is the same, 80-90% weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store