The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

gregg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
stickney
guys unless you get a scavenger your still going to have to do gravel syphons no way around it maybe a simpler way to perfect it is get a stronger oxygen pump def a nice read and after reading this i might try 1 in my 30

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
guys unless you get a scavenger your still going to have to do gravel syphons
Just shooting in the dark, since your complete lack of punctuation makes it really difficult to determine where one sentence is supposed to have ended, but adding a "scavenger" will mean more poop to vacuum, not less.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
knifegill;4473655; said:
Just shooting in the dark, since your complete lack of punctuation makes it really difficult to determine where one sentence is supposed to have ended, but adding a "scavenger" will mean more poop to vacuum, not less.
:ROFL:

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Okay, it's stuck after I reviewed it. Heaven knows I'll need to ask for a FAQ subforum soon with more articles popping out. Maybe...

Gun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
Jakarta, Indonesia
I use sponge filter too, as a back up in my tank (primary a wet dry filter).
i also use a corner filter, filled with sintered glass, ceramic ring, n sponge.

aclockworkorange write a good point about power loss.
that's my reason for having a sponge filter in my tank.

Reactions: Piscavores:)

tickle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2010
The back end of hell.
Im currently using two Huey Hung HH-03 sponge filters in my 4'x20"x15", i was unsure i was making a good choice when i bought them, given the ultra low price of £10 each delivered.

They are doing great so far in my opinion, and with regular substrate vacuuming my water is crystal clear to date. The HH-03's seem to catch quite a bit of debris when the substrate is kicked up, or at least in this tank, with an over-powered air pump they do.
They also have clear outlet tubes, so should be easier than some brands to hide when the tank is planted and fully decorated.

Also i suspect i may be able to run a heater in-line with one of these and a small powerhead to distribute the heat better, as seen in some canister setup's. I guees i'll have to see when my 'rena smart' heater is ordered.

Nice article!

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
I run two hydor v in my 125, with an fx5. Until about 2 months ago it was the sole filtration on the tank. I keep ca cichlids and the sponges just add more structure and territory. They look just an unnatural as flowerpots! I anchor large plastic plants under mine so they are kind of hidden and yet still make a sight break or a territory.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
bradleyagregg;4521280; said:
I run two hydor v in my 125, with an fx5. Until about 2 months ago it was the sole filtration on the tank. I keep ca cichlids and the sponges just add more structure and territory. They look just an unnatural as flowerpots! I anchor large plastic plants under mine so they are kind of hidden and yet still make a sight break or a territory.
That's the exact setup I'm using in my 125 currently.

Two days ago, a friend had to bring over his 55 gallon of SA cichlids and barbs to my place, as he was moving and needed somewhere to store in for a few weeks. It WAS fully cycled, but something in the move messed that up. The next day after it arrived here, the ammonia was through the roof and nitrite was at .50 ppm.

I did a large water change with prime, and then squeezed out one of my Hydor sponge filters from my 125 into the 55... Needless to say, that did the trick. :grinno:

Reactions: Cubancichild69
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store