The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I'm going sponge filter on an ambush predator tank. I think this will work well. I also would like to use an algae scrubber but am still researching to know if there will be an issue with plant health if I use one. My reasoning for a sponge filter is to reduce flow power in concentrated areas. I want the suction spread out over volume as well as the output of my powerheads through a spray bar to not be concentrated burst. This will allow my ambush predators to not fight a current or be stressed as they are typically found in slow to stagnant waters. Ideally, I will have the flow displaced throughout the tank well enough to not be concerned with dead spots as these fish will hide in those and be susceptible for other reasons. I am curious if I should use a third filter to clean the top of the water and if it should be different than a sponge filter.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I'm going sponge filter on an ambush predator tank. I think this will work well. I also would like to use an algae scrubber but am still researching to know if there will be an issue with plant health if I use one. My reasoning for a sponge filter is to reduce flow power in concentrated areas. I want the suction spread out over volume as well as the output of my powerheads through a spray bar to not be concentrated burst. This will allow my ambush predators to not fight a current or be stressed as they are typically found in slow to stagnant waters. Ideally, I will have the flow displaced throughout the tank well enough to not be concerned with dead spots as these fish will hide in those and be susceptible for other reasons. I am curious if I should use a third filter to clean the top of the water and if it should be different than a sponge filter.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
An old couch provides enough padding for 50 or more. I also make them from pillow batting stuffed into stockings cut to size.

BD89

Feeder Fish
Oct 10, 2018
I use sponge filters in 4 of my 6 tanks and rate them highly. If ur going to run an airstone in your tank it almost makes too much sense to run a sponge filter instead.

Cubancichild69

Feeder Fish
Jan 12, 2019
That's the exact setup I'm using in my 125 currently.

Two days ago, a friend had to bring over his 55 gallon of SA cichlids and barbs to my place, as he was moving and needed somewhere to store in for a few weeks. It WAS fully cycled, but something in the move messed that up. The next day after it arrived here, the ammonia was through the roof and nitrite was at .50 ppm.

I did a large water change with prime, and then squeezed out one of my Hydor sponge filters from my 125 into the 55... Needless to say, that did the trick. :grinno:
Great save !!!

20190113_093143.jpg

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
I'm seeding (6), 125g rated sponge filters for a big move (all my tanks to a temporary home while I build a new house). I put them in a trash can with 45g of tank water from a cycled 210g. Have them up & running and just squeezed out a nice cycled sponge filter in the can with the new ones. Anyone have a thought on how to "feed" ammonia for the next 3-4wks to get them cycles 100%? I was thinking like a fishless cycle with pure ammonia? Or a handful of feeders but don't want to risk any disease.

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store