The wykii.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Had this guy almost 6 months now. Quite an usual fish to find by me.

Picked him up from a lfs for £80.00 at around 12"-13" long. He spent a few moths in a 4 x 2 x 2. I've recently moved him into a 6ft x 30" (w) x 2ft.

Such interaction with myself the fish has, he's also grown a far amount. I'm not to sure what there growth rates are suppose to be like, although. He's easily 17" if not 18" long now. If seriously recommend getting one if you have a free tank. This guys very aggressive buy tame at the same time.

He has also attacked me several times!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
You kept this one quiet! He loves brill. Love these fish wish they could be housed with others. Theres a stunning one in wharf at the minute
I've actually got 21 one catfish in the fish room, so there's a few more what I'll post up when I get some decent pictures. Not all are monsters mind you.

Amazing fish. Yesterday I added 17 neons to the tank, so add some movement. I thought they'd be to small for him to bother with. Well, I poped in this morning and he'd managed to eat them all. Was worth the chance it could of worked. Amazing that an 18" ish catfish would hunt down fish as small as 1cm.

I've seen the little chap in wharf, I think you should get him once your sorted. Awesome species, much more interactive than my Redtail.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Nice, my favorite catfish. It's probably to late for you since it's so big, but I believe you can keep them with other fish. Just need large enough tank and fish that can put the cat in its place. Problem with that is fish that can beat the wyckii will end up beating it bad in order to put it in its place.

Reactions: Rpul

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Awesome cat, one of my favourites after reading about them many years ago in practical fish keeping, I have been after one for years, I am sure the pics were black and white so a long wait, I found a thread on here from 2009 where I asked about them.

I found one last weekend, about 12" for £75. I have it in exactly the same size aquarium as you. Looking forwards to putting some size on it. Currently with a similar sized Dorado I am growing out.

Reactions: moe214 and Rpul

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
I've tried him with several fish, much large then him when I first got him. After seeing a member in here managing to keep them successfully with others.

This did not work, within 20minuets he was terrorising everything.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Awesome cat, one of my favourites after reading about them many years ago in practical fish keeping, I have been after one for years, I am sure the pics were black and white so a long wait, I found a thread on here from 2009 where I asked about them.

I found one last weekend, about 12" for £75. I have it in exactly the same size aquarium as you. Looking forwards to putting some size on it. Currently with a similar sized Dorado I am growing out.
Wharf have had one in for quite a while a small chap around 6" priced at £100.00. Although, they are quite uncommon in the U.K. ive recently seen quite a few appear in the trade recently from two vendors via social media over the last two months. There was recently two selling on eBay aswell 2ft specimens with tank.

They are truely awesome, it would be great if they played nicely with others. Although, they have the looks to match there personality. They do make up for it though threw there personality.

You will have to keep us all upto date on how he comes along.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It vexes me that only 2-3 years ago wyckii were still $5 a fish here in the states for a 3"-er. I can't bring myself to spend $100+ on them now and mostly large ones are available. IDK what happened...

Anyhow, if my 16"-18" wyckioides is of any indication, it's pretty mellow in 4500 gal, while it had been a nightmare to tank mates in 240 gal.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014

I wish to one day keep these two species together with a few other species (like aimara, lince, maybe even a ZZ) in a large tank, curious how it is working out for you.

I've tried him with several fish, much large then him when I first got him. After seeing a member in here managing to keep them successfully with others.

This did not work, within 20minuets he was terrorising everything.
Again to me it depends highly on what you keep it with. I can post some pictures of what my curupira had to do in order to establish dominance over my wyckii. If you'd give me permission to do so on your post. I'm willing to finally share some. I've only took pictures of the bad so I'd give a different side of the story from the usual "wyckii kills everything".

It vexes me that only 2-3 years ago wyckii were still $5 a fish here in the states for a 3"-er. I can't bring myself to spend $100+ on them now and mostly large ones are available. IDK what happened...

Anyhow, if my 16"-18" wyckioides is of any indication, it's pretty mellow in 4500 gal, while it had been a nightmare to tank mates in 240 gal.
You put it in the 4500? Which one? Not the aggressive one I assume, being thin could be a meal? And seems like it backs up arapaimags observation with wyckii though I find wyckioides to be worse, he said 600g he could keep wyckii with others, wyckioides being larger, you've accommodated the larger need. Look forward to seeing pictures and videos of this and also your in depth observations ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store