Theres so many types many options!!!

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Just got my new FRT today and was wondering what specific type of lettuce people feed to their FRT.

Theres so many types at the store Im not sure which one to buy?!?!? :confused:

Ive also heard that iceberg is worthless and shouldnt be used. True?

Im so giddy that i finally got one, I feel like a little school girl LOL I will post pics of my her another time!!! :headbang2 :clap :woot: :headbang2 :clap :woot:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
they will definately eat water lettuce, and i guess you could grow your own quite easily. pics of your new frt?

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
I've never kept FRT's but im my lizards variety is the key. Go with collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens. Iceburg is crap and romaine is not much better.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
I've never kept FRT's but im my lizards variety is the key. Go with collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens. Iceburg is crap and romaine is not much better.
BINGO!!!

he's right

lettuce has very little nutritional (literally) and mostly made up of water.

pete is right: mustard, collard, dandillions, turnip green, escarole, endive. all are the healthiest of choices.

For vegatables: squash(zuicinni, yellow, butternut, Kabocha, mexican, winter, italian, etc.), turnips, sweet potato, yams, carrots, snap or snow peas, parsnip, asparagus, okra, alfalfa (mature, not sprouts), onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, sweet potato, zucchini, yellow squash.

and fruit: Figs (raw or dried), blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, mango, melon (cantelope, honeydew, watermelon), papaya, banana, apple.

heres a tip when choosing produce: pick the brightest darkest fruits and vegetables you can find :)

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
thanks guyz!

esp. Del...

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I no help as far as the food goes, but congrats one your new FRT, looking forward to pics.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Iceberg lettuce is not bad for them, it is just useless, no nutrition at all.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Forget the greens (collard, mustard, etc). My FRTs never touched them. Mine feed on frozen peas, green beans, fresh kiwi, banana, apple, anacharis, jungle val, potato slices, veggie sticks, earthworm sticks, cut raw shrimp, catfish fillets, commercial catfish pellets, rabbit pellets, and so on.
If your FRT is under 2 years, offer less meat protein and more plant protein to prevent shell curl.
Keep the pH on the alkaline side. Light brackish or adding rift lake salt is beneficial. A substrate of aragonite sand will provide pH buffering and calcium. I also keep sulfa blocks in the sump to promote disease resistance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store