These are what dreams are made of!!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
If you've known me for ANY length of time, you will know that I am completely and totally into keeping fish, especially SA cichlids. And that outa all those SA cichlids, I have a few species/families of fish that I am especially fond of! Pike cichlids are quite possibly my fav. family of cichlids, with Crenicichla marmorata, lenticulata, cobra, atabapo, tapajos red, and the xingus being my fav...in that order! And now...finally after a couple years of tryin to find some...I have been able to track down three Crenicichla marmoratas!! SHWEETNESS!! I have them on hold right now actually! So stoked! And there is a chance that Dan might have found some more of them for me! Which would be a very good thing, the more the merrier! Anyway, here are a couple pictures of the three I have on hold right now. The thing about Crenicichla is that a lot of the juv/sub-adult coloration isn't documented....which sucks cuz there are a lotta different juv. coloration out there...so its hard to distinguish different species from another. Well, I was able to get them to send me some pictures of the three juvs. I have on reserve right now! So feast your eyes upon these beauts! Note, they look nothing like they will when they are adults! :D

Ken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2005
Mississippi
Oh what I would do for just one of them. Definitely keep everyone posted with new pics. It will be most interesting watching them grow up.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
they grow surprisingly quick. keep us posted. with proper care in a good sized tank, they can put on 7 to 8 inches in no time at all. beautiful when they are in the process of their color change from juvie to adult, one of my fav. species as well.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
I know they grow quickly...I used to have a breeding pair of Crenicichla sp. xingu I...Lugubris pikes are totally awesome. I'm really stoked about these guys though! These guys and Hoplarchus psittacus are my dream fishies! And I already have some Hoplarchus...so I just need these guys to fill another spot on my wish list!

Centralmayhem...you ever kept Cren. marmoratas before? I'm really looking forward to seeing their various color changes. xingu I's were pretty pimp...lol...so I know i'm gonna love the color changes of the marmoratas!! :D Specially when they hit subadult and start gettin their adult coloration! :D

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
I would LOVE to post more pictures...but these little beauties are not in my possesion yet... :(. The LFS is holding them for me till I can pay for them. Its either get them or go to the ACA....so yeah.....I'm gonna go to the ACA. Maybe I will find some that will be cheaper! That would be great but highly unlikely! :p

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
There are many many different types of pike. There are the Saxatilis family of pikes which generally don't go through any color changes...i.e they look the same as juv. as they do as adult. Saxatilis pikes generally stay smaller, with the range from 8" to 10" being more the norm. Then there are the Lugubris family of pikes, which do go through several color changes before they become adults. Awesome family of pikes! Love them. Lugubris pikes also get larger...with most in the 14" to 18" range. These pikes...Crenicichla marmoratas, are from the Lugubris family and easily will reach 14". Not exactly for your novice hobbyist! They can be more aggressive, but as with most cichlids, give them space, hiding places, and the right tank mates, and you can generally cut the aggression down to almost not existant!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store