These are what dreams are made of!!

nandus_nandus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Kansas City, KS
They certainly are cool fish; I hope you get them. These are pics of my new marmorata. One pic is of them in their quarantine tank. I am very curious about your breeding pair of Xingu I pikes. Did you actually get a successful spawn out of them? If so, we'd all love to see pics. of that rare event.

marms & black-barred.jpg

baby marmorata.jpg

View attachment 1116425

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
AWESOME!! Did you get them from Rapps?! Very very kewl! I am only gonna be able to get three of them cuz thats all thats available. There is another possible source or two...and maybe the ACA will have more. Fingers crossed! I would love a group of 6. Awesome!

At the time that I had the xingu I i didn't have a digital camera. I wish i did cuz they were just pimpin. Absolutely gorgeous! Male was alright but the female would knock your socks off and just totally the star of the tank. Anyway, i was away and my parents fed them feeders. They got ich and by the time i got back it was too far and i couldn't stop it....:(....so they died. REALLY REALLY PISSED AND BUMMED! Had them for almost three years! Anyway, I DID get them to spawn, once, but the male ate the eggs shortly their after. Very frustrating. They never spawned after that. The female would do her little curve her body into a V infront of him swim alot. It was really kewl to watch! Love your marmoratas! Glad to see I'm not the only one addicted to these beauts! Lets keep as many pictures as we can so we can document the color changes. Not enough pictures out there of juv. Lugubris pikes! :p

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Here, I found these pictures on a german site...lol...this is what my female looked like before she died...and thats what she would do in front of the male all the time...the C/V shape thingy.....absolutely loved her. Gorgeous. The white on the dorsal was HIGHLY contrasting and looked awesome!

Crenicichla_3.jpg

Crenicichla5.jpg

View attachment 1116492

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
nice pikes guys :cheers:

peanut power, what other pike have you got? could you post some pics of them :)

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
Peanut_Power said:
Here, I found these pictures on a german site...lol...this is what my female looked like before she died...and thats what she would do in front of the male all the time...the C/V shape thingy.....absolutely loved her. Gorgeous. The white on the dorsal was HIGHLY contrasting and looked awesome!
is this a xingu I (orange pike)?

nandus_nandus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Kansas City, KS
Yes, they are from Rapps. I will take pics of them, as they grow. One thing I've noticed, is that the red trim on the dorsal fin is orange, as opposed to red (the sp. Venezuela and johanna have red-trimmed dorsals). Another difference I've noticed is the presence of a subtle blue-green hue over the opercula, which is not present in other young lugubris pikes that I am aware of.

I have seven Xingu I pikes, which are in the 7-9" range. I've seen those German pics, too. Strangely, both fish appear to be females. My Xingus have not quite obtained full adult coloration, unless all of them happen to be males. I'm envious of your success w/ the orange pikes. Obviously, I'm hoping to get a pair from my group, as well.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Woah.

Very nice pikes!

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Yeah, thats where i am gettin my marmoratas from as well. Thankz for the tips on the juv. coloration...very frustrating for me trying to fidn them. Venezuela, johanna and them as well as Lenticulata all seem to look the same. A couple differences if you know to look for them. I wish i had more pikes right now but i just have one Crenicichla sveni female. Soon to up it up a notch. Thinkin of maybe just specializin in pike cichlids. Get as many species as i can...each to their own tank unless i can some how manage two or more species in one large tank. That would be nice...but i don't know how it would work with anything below a 400gal. Might work in a 300gal...but it would be interestin for a bit. Yes those are xingu I. I noticed also that they both appear to be females. Rather odd that she is displaying for her. don't normally do that. Check this pike out my friend found at one of his LFS...its still there...i might pick it up...a bit pricey...since its almost full grown. I'm not for sure but it almost looks like an Atabapo! Haven't seen anything like it before though!! Very very kewl pike! I wish i had an Aqualog so i could ID it better!

atabapo.jpg

atabapo1.jpg

View attachment 1117404

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store