thinking about light brackish

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The bumblebee,mollies and glassfish would get eaten.
I must of misunderstood the post. I thought OP was just asking what brackish fish wouldn't outgrow a 55 gallon, not what would be compatible with a moray. Also, I never meant for all these fish to be kept together..it was just a list of small brackish fish. Thanks for the clarification

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I must of misunderstood the post. I thought OP was just asking what brackish fish wouldn't outgrow a 55 gallon, not what would be compatible with a moray. Also, I never meant for all these fish to be kept together..it was just a list of small brackish fish. Thanks for the clarification
Oh you're welcome,the OP went on to say that he already has a moray and intends to bring in a violet goby and a toadfish.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
thanks for the input. I agree adult sailfins maybe ok. As for as Chromides really depends which we are talking about

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
most eels dont stay at brackish u know, also the toadfish will need saltwater when it gets older and is poisonousness as hell. And they make a hell of a noise... srs u dont want to keep that tank near ur bed.
(at 14 seconds and u will hear this the whole night long at some periods)

I would go for a saltwater tank if u wane keep eels and toadfish. Also dragongoby's in the shop are freshwater and not brackish. They won't last Long in brackish unless u get wild caught ones

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
You have any credible references for the dragon/violet goby being truly fw? I have yet to come across that in any of my reading

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
You have any credible references for the dragon/violet goby being truly fw? I have yet to come across that in any of my reading
it depends on the grower. But if it's kept in freshwater since a few generations before it's a freshwater fish. U have to ask the grower or the shop. It's not always freshwater, it is indeed mostly brackish but some are freshwater.
I tried to find the source but its quitte some time ago that I read this.
https://dier-en-natuur.infonu.nl/vissen/63959-drakenkop-gobioides-broussonetti.html (this was not were I read it but it says that some need to be kept in freshwater and others in brackish deepening on the grower
)
I wanted to do a brackishwater tank with dragon goby, green puffer and bumblebee but I was told that the dragon goby are mostly freshwater. I think it was on the dutchpufferforum.
But the toadfish and murene are saltwater fish when they are full-grown.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
it depends on the grower. But if it's kept in freshwater since a few generations before it's a freshwater fish. U have to ask the grower or the shop. It's not always freshwater, it is indeed mostly brackish but some are freshwater.
I tried to find the source but its quitte some time ago that I read this.
https://dier-en-natuur.infonu.nl/vissen/63959-drakenkop-gobioides-broussonetti.html (this was not were I read it but it says that some need to be kept in freshwater and others in brackish deepening on the grower
)
I wanted to do a brackishwater tank with dragon goby, green puffer and bumblebee but I was told that the dragon goby are mostly freshwater. I think it was on the dutchpufferforum.
But the toadfish and murene are saltwater fish when they are full-grown.
The drago. Gobies most commonly available are brackish water fish

Reactions: neko1

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Playing with the idea of doing a light brackish 55g. What fish can I do that won't out grow this tank?
My aquarium is currently at 1.009sg so it qualify at light mid brackish :D

However, it is all locally-caught small morays for now.. Uropterygius Micropterus, Echidna Rhodochilus all topped at 30/40cm, and both are true brackish species. There is a G. Polyuranodon a brackish to FW species, for now it's 20cm, this species is said to grow to 80cm, but most does not grow that much. And there is also an E. Nebulosa, a mostly marine eel which are now about 15cm (max length at about 40cm, still rather small), we captured it in a brackish river at 1.014sg, so I decided to keep it here for awhile until we can rehouse it to an SW tank. If it shows any signs of stress I will immediately return it to the river where we found it.

Interestingly I found an article which says that E. Nebulosa prefer brackish water in the wild, even though the writer also recommend pure SW (I agree with the writer though).

http://thepetserver.com/snowflake-eel/

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
My aquarium is currently at 1.009sg so it qualify at light mid brackish :D

However, it is all locally-caught small morays for now.. Uropterygius Micropterus, Echidna Rhodochilus all topped at 30/40cm, and both are true brackish species. There is a G. Polyuranodon a brackish to FW species, for now it's 20cm, this species is said to grow to 80cm, but most does not grow that much. And there is also an E. Nebulosa, a mostly marine eel which are now about 15cm (max length at about 40cm, still rather small), we captured it in a brackish river at 1.014sg, so I decided to keep it here for awhile until we can rehouse it to an SW tank. If it shows any signs of stress I will immediately return it to the river where we found it.

Interestingly I found an article which says that E. Nebulosa prefer brackish water in the wild, even though the writer also recommend pure SW (I agree with the writer though).

http://thepetserver.com/snowflake-eel/
Wild fish go to changing salinities to get their salt needs, in a aquarium the water tends to stay at a more constant salinity.

Reactions: john_lord_b3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store