Third time is a charm.... I hope

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Tried to breed these guys 3 times now. First time female ate the eggs and then beat up the male pretty bad. Second time she spawned on a flower pot base while they were divided. Moved the eggs over to the males side... and he ate them. Should be on track to lay eggs in the next couple of days. They've been together for over 24 hours together and no missing scales or split fins. Thats a record for them lol. They're both cleaning and fanning the clay pot base she spawned on last time. Keeping my fingers crossed! If it doesn't happen this time I'll probably split the 2 up completely and try a different route with either a different female or wait til my other male ZZ gets a little larger.

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

Yammij

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
They look like a good breeding pair. Dose the female only get dark while mating? Good luck with it man.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Yes usually she just has the blue pearls all over and the red. Once they actually spawn she turns almost black

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Starting to bite each other. She's notorious for taking scales off his 'kok'. Going to let them show some tough love until I feel they have to be separated. Hoping they spawn on the clay pot base so I can remove the eggs and put them in thier own setup with an air stone

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Laid eggs today and the pair is still together. A couple bites here and there but nothing serious. Here is the female in her spawning dress

IMG_5573.JPG

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Thank you. There are a handful of unfertile eggs. I'd say less than 5% are white. I did see him in the pot after her and looked like he was doing his part but who knows. I did put the divider back in to avoid unnecessary harm to either the male or female. Guess I'll cross my fingers and see how these turn out

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Well.... eggs did not get fertilized :( So I've decided to remove the female completely from the male and put breeding FH on the back burner. I'll probably try again in a few months lol

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Sorry to hear that. Keep in mind that sometimes it can take 5 times or more for the pair to get it right. Thats what I watched my close friend go through with his one pair. He figured the male wasn't fertile after their third failed attempt. Since they weren't fighting and he was running tight on tank space he just left them together. Fourth time didn't yelled any fry and then one day he looked down and their were fry everywhere in the tank. It took 5 times for the male to get it right. Some people get lucky and their males and females get along perfectly and produce offspring with little effort. But most, including me, don't often have this result. Take a break from it if you want and try again at a later date. Breeding flowerhorn is often a game of persistence and patience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store