This cripple needs help designing pond mechanics!

CopperHearts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Mendocino County, California
Hello guys,

I was hoping you could help me with some techincal information on a pond I'm planning for(doesn't exist yet).

It's going to be 11' x 18' x 3.5'(4' walls). It will be 2' below ground and 2' above. It will be under a pergola that is enclosed with wire fencing to keep out the thieving raccoons and herons.

It will be a koi pond, no plants(but a bog possibly?)

The area it can go in is 60' x 81' - no trees - so I have lots of room for options.
I do know that it will have 2 bottom drains, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes on the subject.

I need to know how to build a set up that's easy maintenance or at least easy to get to. I am in a wheelchair, so having equipment in the ground is a problem for me. I can comfortably reach 6" above ground level and I can do switches at ground level, but it would be difficult for me to work on something that was below that. I have full upper body strength and full use of my hands - I can comfortably reach 2.5' to the side. Up to 43" (Shoulder height) from ground level.

I have no idea what kinds of pump(s?) I'd need, nor the filters. I know that I need biological filtration - which can be DIY, but I don't know what kind would be easiest for me to access. My contractor is asking me about how many horsepower the pump(s) are going to need. The guys who are going to be setting up generators for the property need to know. I have NO IDEA! :(

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now and it's just giving me a headache. I really know next to nothing on the subject. I'm mistrusting of going to a "professional" at this stage, because I don't trust them not to set me up wrong for their financial benefit(as most sales people are so inclined to do :) )

That's why I'm here, to get some knowledge and ideas on what direction I need to go in.

I was looking into designs that would work for me. I saw this above ground pond with the mechanics buried in a raised bed, on the side of the pond. http://www.russellwatergardens.com/Instruction/koipond.php

Though, I think it's probably insane to have an air pump and all the other stuff buried - it's not like air pumps never go out. My bubbles would be in the pond - not in a seperate tower.

Hopefully I wasn't too confusing haha :)

~Charlotte

CopperHearts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Mendocino County, California
Ok, so I looked up how big a 55g drum is . . . it's small - way smaller than I was picturing in my head. I can reach in without a problem. So, that makes choosing filtration much easier. I thought it would be out of my reach to have a barrel system. I feel like such a dink sometimes. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store