THIS IS WHY WE ARE SO STRICT!!!

D.Pulcher

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nv
I think its really pathetic what some people will do for money. It's almost has bad as a species going exstinct. I mean if you introduce a new species into a new enviorment it will just mess up the whole system. Pathetic.

Grosse Gurke

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
NW
Piranhas are not banned in Oregon...and the fact that they are banned in northern states shows how little some of these laws correlate to an actual threat...and that they have been created to appease the public and ease their non-fact based fears. The nuclear plant theory is nice....but really....it has more to do with the flood of uninformed phone calls asking why on earth they would allow a man-eating fish to be kept by hobbyists. I spoke to F&W in Oregon when they brought a bill to have these fish prohibited...and they knew the possibility of them surviving the winter was zero...but it was easier to ban them...then explain this to everyone that calls and complains.

Any seller is taking a rediclious risk by selling to illegal states. Of course F&W monitors these forums....as a tax payer...I would be disappointed if they didnt. I feel bad for Brandon because he was just a hobbyist that got caught up in the lure of the import/selling game...but when you start shipping to illegal states....you deserve to be brought back to reality.

Reactions: Cholly

synapse989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Midland, Michigan
everytime someone is at my house and I'm doing something in my piranha tank.. they ALWAYS freak out and tell me that my fish are going to bite my hands. Every time they speak all matter-of-fact about it, and 99.5% of the time they wrap it up with "well I heard that....."

idiots. each and every one of them. I always respond with "wow.. I always wonder what my life would be like if it my decision making process was dominated by completely idiotic and irrational fears."

albeit they're just red bellies.. I doubt I'd do that with a rhombeus..

HOWEVER. I don't like how this guy was fined all that money... I think the laws are somewhat askew because of the "fear" ...on the other hand I don't think the FISH should be to blame because idiots buy something on a whim and then release it because they're bored. ...and people have to realize that Florida is already home to numerous aggressive fish species, and aggressive reptiles, so some P's swimming around have other fish to deal with. ..they're not like freakin superheros in the water y'know... ..they just have really sharp (scary) teeth.

maybe instead of banning the fish they should require a license to own them. something that says you promise you won't get bored and cut em loose in the swamp. *shrug*

Reactions: SteelNSorcery

_Sushi_

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
South East Michigan
And people would find a way to get around having to have a licence.

like dog licences, or fishing licences, or gun permits.

I do agree that it's not the fishes' fault for their bad reputation...

As for your friends I'd say "Wow, too bad the 3 of us (your ps and yourself) never knew that! I still have all my fingers!!"

However a friend of mine puts her hands in her b/f's rhom tank, no problem, except when the rhom's in a bad mood....lol

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
synapse989;1326386; said:
maybe instead of banning the fish they should require a license to own them. something that says you promise you won't get bored and cut em loose in the swamp. *shrug*
We have 'em in Georgia. Would a redbelly be able to live throught the winter here though? It's gotten down to 17F in the past. Could they live through that?

Well, anyways, the license is a "Wild Animal Permit" that costs a good $265 a year.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Many of you are missing the point...

It's NOT a question of the law bieng a just or deserved one....it's a question of the law EXISTING and bieng broken for profit...

You may very well belive in your heart that theres nothing at all wrong with torching off some herb or driving alone in the car pool lane....but it's STILL wrong and it will still get your fanny in a sling if you get caught....

synapse989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Midland, Michigan
I didn't miss the point at all.. I think it's a dumb law. Driving alone in the car pool lane though.. geezus... HANG EM!

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
I live in Florida and we have lots of problems with introduced pirahhnahs. People release them into local lakes or rivers. They have no predators to fear, they eat and eat and eat and become massive. Many native species die.
So it isn't hollywood its the parahhnah itse;f.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Kdcarey;1372200; said:
I live in Florida and we have lots of problems with introduced pirahhnahs. People release them into local lakes or rivers. They have no predators to fear, they eat and eat and eat and become massive. Many native species die.
So it isn't hollywood its the parahhnah itse;f.
I agree that Piranhas if released in numbers to Fl water systems could cause significant damage to native fish, but please get get your facts straight. The fish you are referring to is NOT a Piranha, they are Pacus.

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
And Pacus are legal in FL. They sell them at Petsmart for instance. Pacus are related to pihrannas. Also, laws like this tend to encourage black markets and whereas regulation tends to promote awareness and responsibility. Obviously not everyone, whether it is legal or not, will act responsibly but I prefer the latter regulation for the reasons stated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store