Thorichthys Aureum info

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
darth pike;3456492; said:
http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4912

http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3886

Two threads in just the first page saying helleri and others in their group need cooler temps 72-74 or so ... I trust the experts, but not everyone does.
Those two threads were also saying sometimes other thorichthys are sold as aureum, which is something to look out for. I can see how young fish will look alike.

The magazine artcle on the FMs said that even FMs shouldn't be exposed to temps in the 80s for long periods of time, because it will cause death. In general, most CAs should be kept in the 70 degree range.

The last article from brittishcichlid.com gives the geographic locations on where the thorichthys are found. The location can have a lot to do with the water temps where these fish are found.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Jason_S;3456586; said:
The helleri are similar to haitiensis and beani in that they are susceptible to bloat as juveniles.
What about elliotti? I just bought one, and I wasn't sure if this fish is over fed or has bloat. I could see the temp on the LFS tank. I am trying to keep my tank temp in the mid 70s, but it is really hard.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Beautiful T. maculipinnis ... note ellioti is no longer valid as it was made a synonym of T. maculipinnis. It doesn't appear to be bloated from the pic, but it is a fair distance off.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
darth pike;3458219; said:
Beautiful T. maculipinnis ... note ellioti is no longer valid as it was made a synonym of T. maculipinnis. It doesn't appear to be bloated from the pic, but it is a fair distance off.
Thanks, I would have to get a better pic for that.

Does anyone keep aureums now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store