MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thorichthys helleri full tank shot

View attachment 1245209

Thorichthys meeki full tank shot

View attachment 1245210

Thorichthys helleri full tank shot

View attachment 1245211
Thanks for posting Darren. Don't you still have the x. Helleri? They look pretty big.
I am considering swapping out the astyanax bimculatus for some wild type livebarers. Mostly because of the fin nipping on larger fish like the robertsoni and they have destroyed some plants I added. It's a tough decision because any astyanax species is hard to find here. On the plus side any of the thorichthys species I have don't get nipped, because they constantly chase them. Even the little ones will chase even the largest 7" tetra.

I am really considering:

P. petenensis
P. mexicana
X. Helleri Rio Otapa
X. mayae
X. alvarezi
X. Doadrioi San Marcos (formerly eiseni)
A. splendens
I. furcidens

I would prefer astyanax aeneus over the bimculatus. I have seen people mix them with livebarers without problems where my bimculatus have killed x. Helleri.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks for posting Darren. Don't you still have the x. Helleri? They look pretty big.
I am considering swapping out the astyanax bimculatus for some wild type livebarers. Mostly because of the fin nipping on larger fish like the robertsoni and they have destroyed some plants I added. It's a tough decision because any astyanax species is hard to find here. On the plus side any of the thorichthys species I have don't get nipped, because they constantly chase them. Even the little ones will chase even the largest 7" tetra.

I am really considering:

P. petenensis
P. mexicana
X. Helleri Rio Otapa
X. mayae
X. alvarezi
X. Doadrioi San Marcos (formerly eiseni)
A. splendens
I. furcidens

I would prefer astyanax aeneus over the bimculatus. I have seen people mix them with livebarers without problems where my bimculatus have killed x. Helleri.
Steve,
All my helleri are gone now. A really hard call to make. I've had them a few years and had three generations of them. I know where they have gone and it's to someone who I trust to give them a good home for life.

There are some great swordtails about,I love x montezumea and I love my rio otapa swordtails
Which I still have with my Lents.
Can't believe I have no thorichthys at the moment, must be the first time in around 15 years.

Reactions: cichlidfish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Steve,
All my helleri are gone now. A really hard call to make. I've had them a few years and had three generations of them. I know where they have gone and it's to someone who I trust to give them a good home for life.

There are some great swordtails about,I love x montezumea and I love my rio otapa swordtails
Can't believe I have no thorichthys at the moment, must be the first time in around 15 years.
I love montezumea too.
It's always tough making a change. One day I may do the same.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Steve,

Hey Darren it just occurred to me-did you think I was talking about your thorichthys? I was asking about the swordtails.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Hey Darren it just occurred to me-did you think I was talking about your thorichthys? I was asking about the swordtails.
Yes Steve, I did think you were on about the thorichthys.
I kept my swordtails and my lents and set them up in a 90 gallon.I have quite a lot of flow in this tank mainly for the Lents but the swords seem to enjoy the flow a lot too.

Easy confusion as the thorichthys and the swordtails are both called helleri.

Reactions: cichlidfish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Yes Steve, I did think you were on about the thorichthys.
I kept my swordtails and my lents and set them up in a 90 gallon.I have quite a lot of flow in this tank mainly for the Lents but the swords seem to enjoy the flow a lot too.

Easy confusion as the thorichthys and the swordtails are both called helleri.
Yes very easy to confuse. Glad you kept them, they are gorgeous. A LFS has some Rio Otapa but they don't look nice.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Are they still young Steve?
Mine didnt look particularly good when they were juveniles. They get better and better with age.
About 3-4". I know they get a bit bigger right? They look not much different then the green swordtails. Some of the Rio Otapa have spots, some don't. Problem here is impossible to find real wild type livebarers at a LFS. Hybrids are labeled "Xiphophorus helleri". They are usually hybridized with Xiphophorus maculatus or other livebarers to achieve certain colors. So it's hard to know if they are real or not. It's best to order from a reputable vendor.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
About 3-4". I know they get a bit bigger right? They look not much different then the green swordtails. Some of the Rio Otapa have spots, some don't. Problem here is impossible to find real wild type livebarers at a LFS. Hybrids are labeled "Xiphophorus helleri". They are usually hybridized with Xiphophorus maculatus or other livebarers to achieve certain colors. So it's hard to know if they are real or not. It's best to order from a reputable vendor.
Yeah they grow to just over six inches.Having said that they should be looking nice at 4inches.
You don't see many wild livebearers in the shops over here in the UK.Just the normal line bred multi coloured crap.
As you said,best to get them from a trust worthy source so you know you have the real deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store