Those with racks

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have a guaranteed taker for 50 1" fish every month so I'm good. Culls can be used as live food. So it's up to $600 a year!

I think you are better off unheated with paradise fish as mentioned. I found them pretty easy to breed and almost any pair seemed to spawn, given a well planted tank with lots of hiding spots. They are not the most marketable fish, at least not in my region.
I'm planning on good planting, just light sponge or similar filters. Plants or half cups should help the fish nest

Reactions: Wailua Boy

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I may also try doing some basic aquaponics to grow moss, he buys Java @ $25 a kilo. I can use culls to keep it clean of other critters

This could work too :) An associate of mine breeds bettas no problem with no filtration in a 10 gallon. They do weekly 25 % water changes I believe.
I want to max my chances, so some filters are better than none

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I have a guaranteed taker for 50 1" fish every month so I'm good. Culls can be used as live food. So it's up to $600 a year!

I'm planning on good planting, just light sponge or similar filters. Plants or half cups should help the fish nest
In that case, you should be happy with them; they put off some big numbers. I did like covering the tanks at least partially if placed outdoors, especially in windy environments

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
In that case, you should be happy with them; they put off some big numbers. I did like covering the tanks at least partially if placed outdoors, especially in windy environments
I covered my goldfish tub outside. May consider the aquaponic thing with moss too. They will be fine outdoors here

One pair should be alright if I can only sell 50 per 2 months

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
One pair should be plenty. Keeping the fry fed is the hard part, getting the fish to spawn regularly is not too bad.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I use netting on my most outdoor tanks but I would go with glass with this family to protect their bubble nests from the elements.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
One pair should be plenty. Keeping the fry fed is the hard part, getting the fish to spawn regularly is not too bad.
Feeding is my main area of concern right now.

If I do it outside it will probably be pretty simple, just throwing low quality fish in with moss to try growing enough to sell

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Thanks for the picture, that fish looks great! Keep us updated.
My male is guarding the nest, as long as the female stays about 4 inches away, he does not bother her. My pair is in a 15 gallon (same footprint as a 20 high, just shorter)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store