Thoughts and potential on tai silk

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
New to the forum new to flowerhorns not new to cichlids what's yalls thoughts on this tai silk got it a month ago grown lots since first pic a month ago latest pic was taken a week ago its 3.5 inches long does it have kok potential

View attachment 1466308

View attachment 1466309

View attachment 1466310
Beautiful flowerhorn, haven’t been seeing many Thai silks lately but personally a favorite variety of they fish, I currently have a red dragon at about 2.5” and got mine when he was hardly 1”. Never noticed Thai silks having red eyes but I never really pay attention to eye color lol. What’s his diet? I know it’s mostly genetic but I’d expect a bigger nuchal hump by now.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Beautiful flowerhorn, haven’t been seeing many Thai silks lately but personally a favorite variety of they fish, I currently have a red dragon at about 2.5” and got mine when he was hardly 1”. Never noticed Thai silks having red eyes but I never really pay attention to eye color lol. What’s his diet? I know it’s mostly genetic but I’d expect a bigger nuchal hump by now.
It’s almost purely genetic. Given the fish has a decent diet if the hump is as big as it is then that’s what it’s supposed to be.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Silk get nuchal hump at a young age. Being the most inbred zz strain they display nuchal hump at 2" or less sometimes.
I find it odd you misspelled Thai but still used the work kok. It's a thai silk, it's a nuchal hump.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Frozen brine shrimp and and okiko platinum 3 to 5 times a day
3-5 times a day is a lot for any fish unless you feed hardly any of it every time you go to feed it. Trust me, like It’s being talked about on a thread of mine, flowerhorn have bad digestive tracks so you got to be careful with what they eat and how much they eat. 3-5 times a day is way too much. Try cutting down two 1-2 times a day or just 1 time a day

Wyatts/cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2021
Okay sounds good thank you for the reply how about his kok could he just be a late bloomer or bad genes ? I appreciate the information

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Okay sounds good thank you for the reply how about his kok could he just be a late bloomer or bad genes ? I appreciate the information
If anything with Aquatic Aggression Aquatic Aggression ‘s logic your fish would be less inbred than some other Thai silks. Anyways your flowerhorns time will come. He will have big hump very very soon actually.

Reactions: Ruturaj and Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
If anything with Aquatic Aggression Aquatic Aggression ‘s logic your fish would be less inbred than some other Thai silks. Anyways your flowerhorns time will come. He will have big hump very very soon actually.
All Thai silks I’ve seen always have baseball sized koks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store