Thoughts of feeding tilapia

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
What are pros and cons of feeding our cichla tilapia? How do u feel about it?
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

borchbuild

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
westmont,il
With live - Pro......great fish to gut load or inject with vitamins. Con....I fed to a Mono pair for a year and the male got HITH bad. Could be to too much of the same thing. This was in a 500 gal with plenty of water changes. When Tilapia reach 5" they become very dense and spinny. My 16" spit them out, they were too powerful. When they reach 5 to 6" they become like concrete!

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Frozen fillets are a great supliment !~!!!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I wouldn't know what that is if it hit me in the head.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
Good to know. I just notice more people use shrimp over tilapia. I was wondering why.

I heard is really oily and fouls the water fast. True? Something to worry about?

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
I feed all my fishes frozen tilapia fillets. I thaw out 2 fillets in water and then cut them up in strips like french fries and all my fishes eat tilapia!
I have to cut fresh fish fillet every time to feed them all but it is very relaxing and fun for me to do. I figure talipia is a freshwater fish and peacock bass eats freshwater fish....sooo why not feed them boneless meaty clean tilapia fish. My giant Datnoids gobble it up as well and my bottom dweller also. WIN WIN WIN!!! But I also give them massivores and carnisticks as treats so they get other vitamins and nutrients, but fresh market talipia is my number 1.

If Artty says its good, its gotta be true...right???

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
Ken, not sure if ur being sarcastic or not, but if ur really asking, tilapia is a fresh water fish. :)

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I feed all my fishes frozen tilapia fillets. I thaw out 2 fillets in water and then cut them up in strips like french fries and all my fishes eat tilapia!
I have to cut fresh fish fillet every time to feed them all but it is very relaxing and fun for me to do. I figure talipia is a freshwater fish and peacock bass eats freshwater fish....sooo why not feed them boneless meaty clean tilapia fish. My giant Datnoids gobble it up as well and my bottom dweller also. WIN WIN WIN!!! But I also give them massivores and carnisticks as treats so they get other vitamins and nutrients, but fresh market talipia is my number 1.

If Artty says its good, its gotta be true...right???
Fasho!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store