Thoughts on flow on a hap tank

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
Hi guys, I currently have a 5feet 120g hap tank running on an fx6 (packed with matrix in 2 tray and sponge on top) with a sump (dc return pump up to 1040gph) and a jebao cp40(aka cp120, delivery up to 4000gph)

There are currently 32 inhabitants in this tank, ranging from 4~8 inches

We all know African cichlids are poop machines, and in order to get the debris suspended and get filter out efficiently, I kept my filter on full power all the time and put the powerhead on about 2000gph on random slow-wave mode.

Due to the nature of the setup, there are no deathsopt in the tank, all inhabitants have to always swim against some level of current no matter where they are. But it keeps the tank spotless. I have absolutely no need to do any gravel vac.

But recently after a visit, someone suggested to me that I have too much flow constantly because the fishes are always swimming against the current and not playful enough(? I don't get this since they are open water fish, I thought all they do is swim in the middle water column of the tank)and it is stressing my fish.

But if I dialled down the powerhead, I started to see debris collecting on/around the rockscape.

My question is do hap really get stressed with constant flow and if so how much flow is considered too much

Any educated advice and idea on keeping the balance between having and clean tank while keeping stress low are also appreciated

Thanks

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I don't like to exceed 10X GPH in my Malawi tanks. The lake has less current out where the haps are, as opposed to the mbuna that live in the rocky shore areas. IDK if they are getting stressed, but maybe expending too much energy just trying to stay in place?

I get all my flow from the canisters...no wavemakers. I don't get much debris, even when the filters slow down between cleanings.

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
I don't like to exceed 10X GPH in my Malawi tanks. The lake has less current out where the haps are, as opposed to the mbuna that live in the rocky shore areas. IDK if they are getting stressed, but maybe expending too much energy just trying to stay in place?

I get all my flow from the canisters...no wavemakers. I don't get much debris, even when the filters slow down between cleanings.
i try to minimize the amount of maintenance required for the tank while keeping it in good shape.
they display these shoring motion, facing against the current when i am not around and that's all they do all day long
but when i get close they seem like they are still able to react without too much effort

20200105202751.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
You can solve the excessive flow problem, without changing any of your filtration by simply building an elevated hardscape. A tall rock structure will deflect the current and create flow breaks where fish can rest. Crevaces & caves will also help alleviate the situation.
I also have a 120 long African Rift tank. Its hardscaped w/ approximately 200 lbs. of limestone and has 35 - 40 cichlids, a mixture of all three groups. 2x AC 110's are the only filtration. Notice that the tank doesn't look crowded. The cichlids make good use of the caves & crevaces.
I rarely gravel vac. As long as your gravel substrate is at least 3" deep & you don't overfeed, a big bed of benificial bacteria will develope and actually act as an additional filter.20200106_062942.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store