Thoughts on my 3 ATF situation

SSJ Crit

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
So originally I ordered x2 of what was advertised as 5"-6" Goliath. When that order came in the mail one of them was Dead on Arrival which looked like Goliath and was 5". The one that lived did not look like Goliath. Which I made a thread about it earlier. The one that lived was about 4 1/2".

Then they sent a replacement and in that process I decided to buy another ATF off of him for a big discount.

So in total I spent $430 after all costs and ended up with 3 total not including the Dead one and I cannot identify their species. I do know that the big one is about 5 1/2", medium one is about 4 1/2" and smallest one is 3 1/2".

I cannot even identify these fish pecies properly. I feel like I got a bad deal or maybe I didn't. Im just not sure I guess that's how it is in your order fish online. This is my first experience ordering online.

Can any experience people here give me ideas on my situation as far as if I got a good deal or even help identifying these three fish?

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with Troy. Only one looks GATF, the top. The bottom looks like a VATF or another closely-looking species.

The one in the middle is harder to ID but if anything, it is not a GATF but a VATF or something similar.

You got sent two non-GATF for the GATF price I guess, which is always higher than that for VATF.

Overall, not too terrible of the deal but you probably could do better with Wes fugupuff fugupuff .

With online vending, there are two ways - you need to be provided with the photos of the actual fish you are buying and you need to be sure of their species ID, or you need to buy from a reputable vendor who knows the fish type you are buying. The community knows what vendor knows what. Just ask.

I'll take the liberty to repost your other PM questions

-- to avoid unnecessary repetition,
-- because the community knows 1000,000x more than I alone, and
-- for posterity:

SSJ: Wow beautiful tank setup! You said you got your 6 GATF at 3inches. Curious to learn the average pricing could you please tell me how much you paid for each of the six fish?

Also how did you get yours to not be so skittish? Did yours lose any patches of scales at the beginning because of stress at all? I checked my water everything seems fine my water is a bit soft though not sure if that will make them lose the scales I'm thinking it's just because they're new and stressed.

TBTB: Hi, thanks. But overall my ATF experience has been pretty miserable. You will see if you read the entire thread. The best price I know of is offered by Wesley Wong of Rare Fish, Los Angeles, CA aka fugupuff on MFK, he has a section in the vendor forum. It varies, can get as low as around $80-$100 or as high as $150 for GATF. VATF are a bit cheaper. You can see his ATF pricing through the years in his vendor forum.

Mine have been well from the get-go until about 6"-8". I didn't do anything special but provided large, peaceful, and bold tank mates. And they went into a 240 gal from the start. But after then I they started getting exceedingly skittish and killing themselves by hitting the walls. I am down to my last one of those 6.

They may lose a few scales here and there but I have not noted this to be excessive or worrisome that I needed to find a reason why. I think the scale losses are mostly from their quarreling between each other. I've never heard of scale loss for any other reason but physical damage; not diet, not stress, not water, etc.

SSJ: Thank you for taking the time to help me out as I am a new ATF owner as of two days ago.. I've been asking questions on the forum haven't got much info yes I did read your thread I saw how the ATF kept ramming themselves to death and I saw some of the pictures but none the less you still have a beautiful set up and your experiment with the unknown species by buying some and testing their variable growth rates is awesome.

If you have time please read my thread title "My 3 ATF situation." In that thread tells about my experience buying my first fishes online and one comes Dead on Arrival and from there my whole experience with the seller sort of went downhill because i bought a 3rd fish because of a discount. I think I even got ripped off price wise. Give me your best opinion on that with the information I put in the thread and I'm not able to ID 2 of my ATF.

In the end game I would love to have a set up like one of your aquariums at least the the 240 gallon. I've learned a lot by reading that thread and I can learn from your experiences in the past as well as whatever you come across since you're ahead of me in the same path I want to follow.

TBTB: NP. You are welcome. I will take a read of your thread. Nothing too surprising.

Give people time. There is a dozen or two of active and experienced ATF MFKers.

Do yourself a favor and get either a round tank of at least 1000 gal, more is better, just like fishtankphil has done (his is 8' round by 4' deep, 1500 gal) or better yet a soft wall above ground pool with a 45 mil EDPM rubber liner, especially if you can't afford the tank.

This is THE MOST VALUABLE ATF advice I can give you. Otherwise, chances are, your ATF will kill themselves before they reach 1', surely before they reach 1.5'-2'.

Ideally, I believe they need to be placed and grown in their forever home of a few thousand gallons, if one ATF, or 10,000-30,000 gal if more than one, so they could stay away from each other.

SSJ: Okay awesome for reading my thread.

Oops I underestimated myself when I said endgame 240 LOL I'm definitely going to go bigger for the end game going to set up a nice tank around 800 to 1000 gallons or 1500 like you suggest! Either somehow get one for a good deal or have it custom made if I can't find a great deal.

I read that it is good if you can afford it to tailor the aquarium to the size of the ATF because if you put the baby / juveniles in a huge tank they will torpedo into the sides. Maybe if I have 3 in a smaller tank they might get used to having slightly smaller parameters than later when I get the big end game tank they wont torpedo into the sides of the walls because they're used to a smaller perimeter and might proceed with caution.. I don't know I'm just thinking stuff up LOL.

I really appreciate your ipinions and advice you give because like I said you have a lot of experience with the ATF and going through the different stages and phases with them.

SSJ: So that's how you are making soft walls ... when I read your post earlier I was wondering what you meant by padded walls now I know it's with the rubber liner.

Yes I like that advice I have always wanted to have an 8-foot tank footprint did not know it's 1500 gallons.. I know width and depth figure into that but that is awesome.

SSJ: I could not find any information on this on this forum and online but I wanted to ask you what is the optimal lighting schedule for the ATF? I have bright LEDs on my aquarium is it important for them to have some light?

After doing couple test on my water this week I realized that my water is on the soft side is that important for me to make it a little harder for them for health-wise?

TBTB: Okay awesome for reading my thread.
***I've not yet.

I read that it is good if you can afford it to tailor the aquarium to the size of the ATF because if you put the baby / juveniles in a huge tank they will torpedo into the sides.
***I've been trying to tell you that my experience and current conviction are the exact opposite. I'd place them from the start in their forever home. 3" in 2,000 gal, if one. People's thoughts vary.

So that's how you are making soft walls ... when I read your post earlier I was wondering what you meant by padded walls now I know it's with the rubber liner.
***No. I used thick filter mats to pad the side walls of their current 240 gal. I was suggesting for you to get a soft wall pool - inflatable or fabric but the standard vinyl liners the pools come with are too thin and weak, you'd need to line the pool with the thick rubber liner.

...what is the optimal lighting schedule for the ATF? I have bright LEDs on my aquarium is it important for them to have some light?
***I don't think they care much either way but I don't know for sure. All my tanks are not lit at all, just ambient light (except when filming). What I do know is that sudden light, noise, motion, etc. spooks them bad. So if you suddenly flip bright light on, they may kill themselves.

After doing couple test on my water this week I realized that my water is on the soft side is that important for me to make it a little harder for them for health-wise?
***What is the KH and GH in degrees or ppm? They are adaptable fish in that regard but there are limits to any adaptability.

SSJ: What I meant by tailoring them to their sizes like let's say you put a 3" in a 55 gallon aquarium when they graduate to larger sizes you put them in large aquariums. That way maybe they get used to having a smaller limited area and are more cautious when swimming fast. I read about that on the ATF ID 3.0 thread.

That is a great idea about the pool sidewalls.. I definitely plan on doing that on my next project.

TBTB: The person who wrote the sticky knows 100x more about ATF than me. Just because my experience and impression differs doesn't make me right. There is some room for reasonable experimentation. We just perceive it differently.

SSJ Crit

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Replying to this:

"Agree with Troy. Only one looks GATF, the top. The bottom looks like a VATF or another closely-looking species.

The one in the middle is harder to ID but if anything, it is not a GATF but a VATF or something similar.

You got sent two non-GATF for the GATF price I guess, which is always higher than that for VATF.

Overall, not too terrible of the deal but you probably could do better with Wes @fugupuff.

With online vending, there are two ways - you need to be provided with the photos of the actual fish you are buying and you need to be sure of their species ID, or you need to buy from a reputable vendor who knows the fish type you are buying. The community knows what vendor knows what. Just ask."

Yes thanks to everybody here I've learned a lot this past week and ever since you told me about Wes vendor list I've learned a lot from his vendor policy and previous lists and i look forward to ordering some fish from him.

After a lot of comparisons with the pictures and diagnostic traits from the ATF ID 3.0 thread I think I've concluded that the medium sized fish is probably vittatus and the smaller fish still undetermined but probably Vatf. The bigger one is obviously a Goliath but just cannot property ID the smallest one. It's actually pretty fun to identify and figure out which species you have.

The place I ordered it from I knew was sort of risky which is why I got what I thought was a decent price for each fish but im glad I didn't mess up too bad like sometimes happens when starting off in new endeavors.

Going forward from here at least with Wes I can at least get what's promise and advertised.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

SSJ Crit

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Does anyone know if Wes's prices are listed including shipping factored in or not? I read his business policy and it states that we pay shipping. I understand we do but I just want to clarify if that's the price including shipping that he already calculated in or do I have to factor in the overnight shipping cost to his listed prices.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Does anyone know if Wes's prices are listed including shipping factored in or not? I read his business policy and it states that we pay shipping. I understand we do but I just want to clarify if that's the price including shipping that he already calculated in or do I have to factor in the overnight shipping cost to his listed prices.
The shipping is not included... as is the business default unless explicitly and clearly stated that it is. Wes' shipping is quite reasonable IMHE. He prefers larger orders and airport to airport shipping at around $50-$60 a standard large cardbox but he does door to door by FedEx too.

Wes values customer satisfaction over money. He has proved it invariably over a decade or longer. The customer must be sane of course, well-meaning, and playing by the business rules posted. In the grey or questionable area, Wes will side with the customer. He is a wonderful guy.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store