Thoughts on parasite infected food effecting large predators?

rastaangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
So a thought came across me today after I arrived home for my local aquarium clubs auction were I loaded up on cheaper feeders that I usually freeze or feed live to my fish cuz it’s cheaper then other food and noticed that under closer inspection 2 bags of guppy’s were infested with camallanus worm once they got home and chilled out in the quarantine tank. And I thought I myself thank good I didn’t just throw those in since I usually quarantine feeders. But then against my better thought I thought to myself I wonder if anyone has ever knowing feed a infected feeder like I have here to a fish and if there digestive system just destroys the parasites or if they then become infected? I know when it comes to my discus and other more delicate fish it would be time for a course of meds but my arowana, oscars and bass are basically garbage cans

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So a thought came across me today after I arrived home for my local aquarium clubs auction were I loaded up on cheaper feeders that I usually freeze or feed live to my fish cuz it’s cheaper then other food and noticed that under closer inspection 2 bags of guppy’s were infested with camallanus worm once they got home and chilled out in the quarantine tank. And I thought I myself thank good I didn’t just throw those in since I usually quarantine feeders. But then against my better thought I thought to myself I wonder if anyone has ever knowing feed a infected feeder like I have here to a fish and if there digestive system just destroys the parasites or if they then become infected? I know when it comes to my discus and other more delicate fish it would be time for a course of meds but my arowana, oscars and bass are basically garbage cans

I personally wouldn't risk it even frozen.

Reactions: Matteus and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’m pretty sure it’s happened. Best not to feed live food even from local aquarium club.

rastaangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
I’m know there’s always risks with live foods and I usually don’t make a habit of it. I’m just wondering if someone has ever knowingly done it and what happened

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
You never feed live, like ever. Pellets or die.

Reactions: Iamfish

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
But then against my better thought I thought to myself I wonder if anyone has ever knowing feed a infected feeder like I have here to a fish and if there digestive system just destroys the parasites or if they then become infected?
Do you want parasites? Because that's how you get parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store