Three Small Cichlid Tanks

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I really have no good idea about this fish as I had never kept cichlids until last year.

I don't know whether it qualifies as Mbuna, or just Haplochromis. It doesn't appear to be Aulonocara to me.

View attachment 1367955
This is a "red Zebra" metriaclima estherae

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
This is a "red Zebra" metriaclima estherae

A stripeless Zebra eh? Well it's not surprising in this biz.

Now I thought that little Voodoo was the zebra.
20181013_195112.jpg

Or maybe Photon LOL.
20181120_191235.jpg

But you just can't go by the stripes. ;)

I wish I could figure out what Little Leeloo is. I had to rearrange the tank so she could hide from buttercup. He is way too anxious to breed her again.
20190325_222844.jpg

Reactions: Jexnell

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
This is little Maynard and for the longest time he and Leeloo have been chasing each other around. But he was not the one that caught her.
20181001_080619_resized.jpg
That picture is 6 months old and Maynard has darkened considerably in coloration and he has grown to 5 in.

Maynard and leeloo are almost exactly the same size and shape but their coloration is completely different.

Reactions: Jexnell

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Maynard is a melanochromis auratus, Leeloo looks like an Elongatus, Photon is an S. Ahli, Voodoo looks like a "bumblebee cichlid" P. Crabro
Thank you so much, Swami.

I will look into the M. Elongatus? I have not seen this exact fish anywhere in photos yet.

I have spent a lot of time looking at photos and text, but Maynard is the only fish I knew absolutely was identified.
He is clearly the common M. auratus "Golden Mbuna".

I think you are right about Voodoo too. I was calling him a faux bumblebee, but he looks more like the real thing in adulthood.

Poor Photon has suffered miserably under the rule of King Buttercup, and shows narry a glimmer of electric blue nowadays. He has been nipped and humbled, even though he is no small fish.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The elongatus I believe is now pseudotropheus, and used to be melanochromis. I have not kept up much with taxonomy of African cichlids.
Photon honestly does not look so good to me anymore, first picture was how he is supposed to look. Is he getting picked on? Looks like stress colors and some torn fins

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
He is in bad bad shape. Buttercup has brutalized him since the breeding began.

I am going to rearrange things tonight. I'm moving fish around & I have a 30 open for him and a 20 for Leeloo. But my favorite betta went from a 16 to a 1g jar. Time to get creative . . .

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
OK, water draining ...

I have been trying to buy a drilled 100 g tank for these fish at the LFS, which is our oldest, and my least favorite. I can't seem to get a price from them. they must have too much business. I called the store again and after getting the runaround for the third time, I told them sayonara.
I'll shop elsewhere. Meanwhile my fish suffer.

I made a big mistake putting aragonite sand in the mixed cichlid tank with 30ppi sponge filters. Buttercup is a bloody DitchWitch and tosses sand over everything. The fine particles clogged the sponge, and with no waterflow all the bacteria inside died in two days, causing a big stink. I did 50% water changes, 4x on the cichlids and the water is sweet again.

The 10ppi foam on my HOB intake did not clog fortunately, and that is still running OK. I am going to put another HOB on the mixed tank so I won't miss the sponges. I may remove the aragonite. Too fine as a substrate IMO.

I rinsed the sponges out about ten times in treated water to remove the sand and dead bacteria. Then I put them in my oscar tank. Unfortunately, the fry seem to have mostly escaped from the barricade and were probably eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store