Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
He’s 6 months in QT here -

nitrate is 5ppm

ph little low at 6.8

6” in 75g with one other tig

- maybe stress??‍♂

eating prawns / random massivore

dosed salt last week after w/c

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That doesn’t look good. It seems like nerve damage…possibly from Myxobolus cerebralis. It’s hard to treat.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our tigs, about 8 of them, adults, seemed to have died exhibiting a similar symptom - not being able to swim properly or orient themselves upright, spinning, circling, bumping into everything.

It is thought that the cause might have been a pathogen, likely bacterial, affecting the brain or central nervous system.

In any case, this is often described as spinning death and I am not aware of any solutions.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Our tigs, about 8 of them, adults, seemed to have died exhibiting a similar symptom - not being able to swim properly or orient themselves upright, spinning, circling, bumping into everything.

It is thought that the cause might have been a pathogen, likely bacterial, affecting the brain or central nervous system.

In any case, this is often described as spinning death and I am not aware of any solutions.
thanks guys!

threw a lil general cure in there….

you think i should euthanize? don’t want it to suffer - unless it’s got fish dementia ?

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
Unfortunately, yes. That Tigrinus is suffering. I do not think that will improve. I would give it 36 hours from the inception of the worst symptoms, maybe 48 hours. But past that I would euthanize the fish and deal with the loss Exum. Im really sorry this happened, beautiful fish, looks well fed.

Just for those of us who keep (or have/will keep) Tigs, what did his diet consist of?

Reactions: dr exum

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From your OP it would read as if the fish is still feeding. If so, this would be totally unexpected but also, if so, the fish may not be suffering much.

A arowanaryan per OP " eating prawns / random massivore"

To 50% of tig keepers, feeding them prawns is a red flag. To the other 50%, it is the norm. This is something we could never yet figure out as a community.

We never fed our tigs any crustaceans. The result was the same but the root cause might have been very different, like catching a contagious pathogen from tank mates / system and not diet related at all.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Unfortunately, yes. That Tigrinus is suffering. I do not think that will improve. I would give it 36 hours from the inception of the worst symptoms, maybe 48 hours. But past that I would euthanize the fish and deal with the loss Exum. Im really sorry this happened, beautiful fish, looks well fed.

Just for those of us who keep (or have/will keep) Tigs, what did his diet consist of?
massivore and market shrimp -

- going to stop the shrimp and switch to just pellets and blood worms for the other one - need to read up on the problems with shrimp -

i euthanized this guy with the clove -

thanks guys ??

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's not just shrimp but crustaceans it seems. There are several older great threads on this, but no consensus, like try T1CARMANN used to be an active member or something. The camps divided roughly 50-50 IIRC.

Reactions: dr exum

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Does appear to be neurological damage, they spook and slam into things at high speed. You would think their confidence improves with size but this just gives them more speed and mass.

Another possibility is pressure on swim bladder due to over eating - expansion of food once eaten - gaseous production from food.

Suggest feeding only twice a week in limited volume. Keeping a species only tank would simplify care.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store