Tiger Datnoid tank

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I've had three NTT and only raised one to 7-8", one other died in an oxygenation mishap and the other was rehomed before reaching that size. I say this because my own experience can only provide so much to the concersation but from my experience (conversations, readings, etc) with other NTT keepers over the years I'm somewhat skeptical of SDS. I think proper quarantine and dosing of a wild caught fish should be done to ensure the best chance of a longer healthier life for that individual fish, tankmates and the aquarium's ecosystem in the long run.

Please keep in mind that I'm not super knowledgeable on parasites or the differences between likelyhood of catching a parasite in NTT vs other datnoids environemnts.

My thought is that all NTT (and all other datnoids for that matter) are wild caught and must have some adjustment period to being placed in a controlled environent (aquariums) where essentially none of the factors of their natural environment have any effect. Factors that may allow them to live with or even naturally remove different parasites that may be the cause of SDS. Potential underlying causes of SDS could be picked up in the time between capture and shipping of the fish when stress is high and the immune system is low.

Another thing, datnoids in large generally grow relatively slowly compared to other fish we keep and though breeding information wild or captive is quite scarce, NTT, like other datnoids obviously still breed in the wild. Mature species likely are a few years old and to me, it just seems like this is more of a problem of this particular fish living outside of it's natural enviroment.

I know this post is a little lose on the info but that's kind of why SDS is called "sudden," not much is proven by hard evidence.

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Are NTT harder to keep then IT ? And are they more prone to SDS ?
Nothing scientific to prove my points here but thought I should share..

I had no problems keeping ITs. Currently, one 3.5" had a wierd right eye (flushed with its head) rescued from a store here. Thriving. Another bought as a 1.5"-2" baby. Growing well on pellets.
The rest are of various sizes ranging from 3" to about 7" only.
An IT at about 2" died "mysteriously" while in QT with the current 2" that I mentioned earlier. Small Dats are supposedly fragile, perhaps part of the SDS equation.

While my story with NTTs are a bit of a let down. Bought two 5+" and lost them both, even after a proper QT with Prazi Gold. I decided back then to get NTTs only because I am already confident keeping ITs.

It is true that big NTTs are rare in the hobby. Juv NTTs are seasonal imports which make us believe that NTTs are still wild caught. ITs however are abundant locally here..

To answer your question.. Yes I find NTTs a bit more of a challenge to keep.

Perhaps you can prove us otherwise..

Reactions: ajking
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store