Tiger Knife Fish

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Ok, heres the deal. I think that tiger knifes (Gymnotus Tigre) are the most beautiful knifes, but sadly they are rare and little info is available on them. So i am dedicating this thread to them. Basically, i just want everyone to say wat they know about them, and post pics if they have any. THanks.:grinno:

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
this is the only goood pic i could find.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
??????????????????????????????????

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
They are sooooo rare that i do not think you are going to get much response.. i believe miles and a few others deal with tigre knives once in awhile.. i also think they get mixed up alot with zebra knives and carapo knives... i do not have a tiger knife after all.. i have one even rarer which is the Brachyhypopmus Brevirostris which is non aggressive type knife, where the tigre or tiger and zebra and carapo are all on the aggressive side as far as fish that can fit into their mouth..winterviven has another rare type knife coatesi..maybe he will post here with info as well..Aranos has started a thread with information on all the rare knives and his thread consists of pictures and the species family..he has this pic in the thread from the atlas ...of a tigre knife

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Guess wat?! I just found out that the best fish store around here sometimes has tigers. Of course ill have to confirm they are not mis IDing them but still. I do trust them cuz they always can be relied on wen i need help with fish. THey're great! THey said they sell tigers from 30 to 70 US dollars depending on size!

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Aromantis;973213; said:
Guess wat?! I just found out that the best fish store around here sometimes has tigers. Of course ill have to confirm they are not mis IDing them but still. I do trust them cuz they always can be relied on wen i need help with fish. THey're great! THey said they sell tigers from 30 to 70 US dollars depending on size!
fantastic and get pictures please... wow !!

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
sorry, but they dont have any rite now. I could order one, but then i would feel obligated to buy it, and rite now i dont have a tank for one. Maybe i can order one and just say i dont want to buy just look. Ill get back to u.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
just called. THey said that i should just check in a little while to see if they get any. They didnt say i could order.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Aromantis;973280; said:
sorry, but they dont have any rite now. I could order one, but then i would feel obligated to buy it, and rite now i dont have a tank for one. Maybe i can order one and just say i dont want to buy just look. Ill get back to u.
okay.... but i would not order it if you know your not going to take it.. just because you have a good LFS there and it is a hard thing to find.. especially that they are able to get you some very hard to find fish..just ask them for pics of it and all the info you can get out of them..:D

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Red Devil;973293; said:
okay.... but i would not order it if you know your not going to take it.. just because you have a good LFS there and it is a hard thing to find.. especially that they are able to get you some very hard to find fish..just ask them for pics of it and all the info you can get out of them..:D
OK o and i found this article. I cant copy the URL so ill just c+p it.

Tiger knifefish, Gymnotus tigre

Matt Clarke looks at the stunning Tiger knifefish, or Macana tigre, a beautiful gymnotid knifefish from South America.

Copyright © Practical Fishkeeping

Common name: Tiger knifefish, Macana tigre
Scientific name: Gymnotus tigre
Origin: Mainly Colombia. The type specimen was collected in the Amazon at Letitia, but it's also found in the Amazon in Peru and Brazil, in the Rio Tapajos in Brazil and from Ecuador's Rio Pastaza.
Size: Museum records state an adult size of 40cm/16" for G. tigre, but this adult was probably more like 45cm/18".
Diet: Fish and invertebrates.
Aquarium: These electrical fishes are adapted for life in very dark peaty waters which don't even get much light during the day, so make sure the tank is very shady. Furnish the tank with bogwood and use a silver sand substrate. Males of the larger gymnotids can sometimes be aggressive, so be careful about mixing this with similar fish. Robust but placid cichlids, such as Heros, Acarichthys or Geophagus, should be safe tankmates. Given the large adult size, a tank of at least 120cm/4' is required for this fish, preferably much larger.
Breeding: Little is known about Gymnotus. Males of at least two other species in this genus construct and guard floating nests made from aquatic plants and foam, and G. carapo is a mouthbrooder.
Notes: This is quite a recent discovery. It was only described in 2003 by Albert and Crampton along with six other Gymnotus species. This one is a member of the Gymnotus carapo group.
Similar species: There are 26 Gymnotus species, with six in the carapo group: carapo; choco; esmeraldas; henni; paraguensis and tigre.
Identification: According to Albert and and Crampton, the world's experts on the Gymnotidae, there should be a series of pale, yellow bars on the flanks "with high contrast margins which are as broad or broader than brown bands anteriorly". The chin, operculum and under the eyes, should have irregular pale yellow blotches, and the tail end should have a series of oblique hyaline (transparent) and dark stripes on the back end of the anal fin. There should be also 190-240 branched rays in the anal fin, not that you'd be able to count 'em, though...
Availability: This fish was imported from Colombia by Tom Halvorsen Ltd and was the only one in the shipment. It's extremely rare in the trade.
Price: About ?200-300 for one like this.

HOpe thats legal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store