Tiger Oscar and CK

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
I recently picked up a 5-5.5 inch CK and placed him into the tank with a 3.5-4 inch Tiger Oscar. I figured he would be ok since there was no way he would fit in the Oscars mouth but I think the Oscar has been nipping at his fins. Should I grow the CK and my BGK out a little bit before adding any other tank mates? I'll probably try and sell the oscar to a lfs for store credit. Hopefully, I can get $5 for him considering they'll sell him for $15. Why am I guessing they'll refuse to buy him but take him for free :irked:

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Depends on the stock you want to put with them. Some Cichlids can be a bit boisterous while others are mellow. Oscars always seems to boil down to personality. Discus, Severums, and Geophagus comes to mind when I think of mellow Cichlids. Most Characins, Datnoid (but they grow slow), Arowana, and Cichla do fine with them.

Planteman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2009
Bay Area
philhawk;2804616; said:
what store is ripping you 15 for a baby oscar?!

The local Petco and Petsmart around here sell almost all of there cichlids from $15 to $20. I got mine for around $8 a piece at the little hole in the wall place I go to.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
I got mine for 2.88 at the Petland back home, and they are actually some nice baby O's!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store