Tiger Shovelnose

Arial_Sky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
usa
necrocanis;1265535;1265535 said:
Got one just like it at almost 18", would probably be 19-20" if not for the curved snout. It gets worse and worse as they grow. It's definitely a deformity. From all acounts it's more than likely that the plates on top of the skull fuse together and kinda grab onto the sutures that let the skull grow in it's normal path. The skull continues to grow and follows the only path availible, which is downward. Mine went from just mildly curved to now his lower jaw completely protrudes in front of his upper. He can still eat, but I have to chop up his shrimp small enough for him to get his mouth around. He still stalks the shrimp and strikes lightning fast, just the difficult part is him getting the food in his mouth.
I wish I could get mine to eat prepared food. So far he only eats live food.

Arial_Sky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
usa
pirarucu319;1265695;1265695 said:
maybe little trait prob..but still OK i guess..feed him well..
Where do I get a Dorado?? Or a Temensis ???

Arial_Sky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
usa
duke33;1269760;1269760 said:
he will eat and eat and eat.lol
If that's yours in the picture, he's beautiful!!! I wish Mine looked like that! *sigh*

jconley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
Columbia, MD
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's NOT deformed, his grandmother had a one night stand with a dolphin!!:D

Reactions: sokolis

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
jconley;1271029; said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's NOT deformed, his grandmother had a one night stand with a dolphin!!:D
she must have really liked that dolphin cause these things are popin up everywhere.

Cole Phail

Gambusia
Jun 7, 2015
USA, Augusta, GA
Same thing here- Bent Nose. Still not sure if it's a genetic trait (like the Arowana's One Eye pointing Downward regardless of perfect water conditions and varied diet) or if it's from a broken nose growing back crooked as some have suggested? The Broken nose is very plausible since at only 12" long he has on multiple occasions rammed his head into the side and top of his 150 gallon tank causing a big gash on the top of his nose and then heals. Often he has very violent striking or swimming surges in the middle of the night. Went thru a long period of time of timid eating but now is eating very well.

IMG_3714 (1).jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's a well known genetic defect in farm raised TSN. We get culls in the ornamental fish trade.

Reactions: Cole Phail
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store