Tigrinum shovelnose

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, as Dave said we are talking Brachyplatystoma tigrinum, aka tig catfish. Tigrinum shovelnose, while understandable, is not a normally used name, because indeed too close to TSN tiger shovelnose, Pseudoplatystoma genus.

The refuse TSN we buy in our hobby indeed too reach 2'-3' and they are refuse, genetically challenged fish. We have seen under 2' and over 3' exceptions to this rule.

Tigs we get are w/c I believe, with good, natural genes. In 5-10 years they will break 2' and have been shown to reach 3', with evidence 2-3 cases on MFK.

Of course tigs are far slimmer than TSN, so weight wise they are 2x-4x lighter than the same length TSN.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
Well that's a bummer but I'll have to pass on a tigrinum then.
So instead of the Hypselecara I'll try to grab some albino Acarichthys heckeli which should be more suitable for this setup.
Selling the Hypselecara won't be an issue since it's the red variant which three fellow local hobbyists are currently looking for.
I did get a Sorubim lima and I'll try to find 2-3 more specimen.

Here's a picture of the tank.
The final stocking isn't large enough to go in there yet so I am using the tank to grow out some Petenia until the other characins are moved into this tank.

20200808_210814.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store