Timber Rattlesnake - Red River Gorge, KY

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Went to RRG two weeks ago. Found all sorts of neat things this time around on Rough Trail.

Came across a Velvet Ant

Cicada Killer

My first Rattlesnake, beautiful snake. Wish I got to spend more time with it. As we were ending the trail we stopped at Rush Ridge. Another hiker and just walked ahead of us with his dog and then we decided to leave. My wife started first and then she yelled for me to come over and I ran over and there it was, stretched out across the trail that a guy and his dog just moments ago walked right by. I picked the snake up and moved him to a more controlled area as there were more hikers on their way and didn't want anyone to hurt or kill the snake as I have seen them do to a harmless Black Racer. So I let them walk by and then it crawled up the root system and I then grabbed his tail while he was on the hook but he was wrapped up in the roots so I just let him crawl up it. Took a short video with the wrong camera app as I only got 15 seconds of video. But that's OK, was worth every 15 seconds. I had been looking for Copperheads the entire time and didn't come across any. I just skipped right over the less venomous snake all the way up to the king, it's an awesome feeling to be holding something 40" away from you that could easily end your life. He was very, very calm, not once did it rattle, was never defensive, was just trying to get simply get away but since folks know what it is, it's the reason they are mostly killed. Can't wait to go back and find more.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Went to RRG two weeks ago. Found all sorts of neat things this time around on Rough Trail.

Came across a Velvet Ant

Cicada Killer

My first Rattlesnake, beautiful snake. Wish I got to spend more time with it. As we were ending the trail we stopped at Rush Ridge. Another hiker and just walked ahead of us with his dog and then we decided to leave. My wife started first and then she yelled for me to come over and I ran over and there it was, stretched out across the trail that a guy and his dog just moments ago walked right by. I picked the snake up and moved him to a more controlled area as there were more hikers on their way and didn't want anyone to hurt or kill the snake as I have seen them do to a harmless Black Racer. So I let them walk by and then it crawled up the root system and I then grabbed his tail while he was on the hook but he was wrapped up in the roots so I just let him crawl up it. Took a short video with the wrong camera app as I only got 15 seconds of video. But that's OK, was worth every 15 seconds. I had been looking for Copperheads the entire time and didn't come across any. I just skipped right over the less venomous snake all the way up to the king, it's an awesome feeling to be holding something 40" away from you that could easily end your life. He was very, very calm, not once did it rattle, was never defensive, was just trying to get simply get away but since folks know what it is, it's the reason they are mostly killed. Can't wait to go back and find more.

You remind me of myself when I was younger fearless would look for dangerous venomous snakes while stationed in Hinesville Ga. Was the Cicada killer a yellow jacket?

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
A lot of folks call yellow wasps, yellow jackets, but they are both in a different family and the cicada killer is much, much larger. I'm hoping to find a Copperhead here in Boone County and have actual proof, they are generally down south in KY.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was bitten by a copperhead years ago.
Is the cicada killer a different species than the tarantula hawk?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes different family as well. How did you get bitten and what happened?
We were skipping rocks at a lake and as I reached to pick up a rock the snake launched out of some tall grass and got me.This was years ago,I was about twelve or thirteen years old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store