Tint Film Wallpaper/Background DIY

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Since I'm re-painting my wall and re-leveling my 240, took the opportunity of an empty tank and decided to add black background to it. And since I don't see this thread anywhere on MFK, thought I'd share this super easy DIY.

1. Purchased 100% black tint from Amazon This one was perfect for my case since it's 24" tall which is the exact height of my 240.

1web.jpg

2. Measure out the dimensions of your back panel adding 1-2" margin which will be trimmed after adhesion. In my case I just measured the width since height was perfect.

3web.jpg

3. Peel tint liner to surface the "sticky" side by taping corners of both sides and slowly peel.

peel.jpg

4. Spray both sticky tint film side and back of your tank with a spray bottle. I found a generous amount worked best. Use a mist spray unlike the photo I'm displaying which was a poor re-enactment.

3bweb.jpg

5. Apply it to your tank. Now in my case, my tank is 8 feet long so my lovely wife helped which saved the day. If your tank is as wide as your reach, then I guess you can do this part yourself. I also had the misfortune of 2 FX6 clips that would not want to come out so needed help tucking film underneath.

6. Squeegee bubbles and imperfections out w/ handy tool provided in kit.

sqeejie.jpg

7. Trim excess with handy dandy super sharp razor, also provided in kit.

4web.jpg

8. Last step I'd say would be to repeat steps 6 & 7 until you're completely satisfied.

You'll be left with a background that looks like it came out of the factory. Cool part is, you can remove it later if you don't like it.

Here's some before and after shots. Disregard messy room.

2web.jpg

6web.jpg 5web.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nicely done.

Reactions: midasman714

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I've never went with a background but I do have 2 75 gallon tanks I have yet to set up so I may try this.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Excellent write up and pics! That looks great. If I can make one little addition: make sure to drill any holes before installing any film. The bit rips up the film.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Great write up! Seen this on a few tanks before, considered doing it to my own but I went with acrylic paint instead.

That tank looks just like the one I threw together not long ago. Guess my work is as good as clear for life’s. Nice tank!

F77A93A1-7672-4772-B0E1-EB9AFC3918A4.jpeg

Reactions: midasman714

Ej6hatchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2016
I wonder how lightly tinted backgrounds would look with LEDs in the back. Might need to try this on my quarantine tank lol.

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
I wonder how lightly tinted backgrounds would look with LEDs in the back. Might need to try this on my quarantine tank lol.
I'm sure you can achieve some cool effects with this method. Post some pics when you get that done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store